Community discussions

MikroTik App

Raf
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

RB 750 ethernet lock up

Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:49 pm

Anyone noticed repetitive problems with ethernet ports locking up on RB750? It uses AR7240, so same chip as Ubiquiti AirMax which also had many problem with ethernet port locking up with first firmware versions.

My RB750 had already few lock ups. It happens only with heavy load on port. Today I've tried to send 8 GB file throug RB 750. I'm using stock configuration as a home router (so 1st LAN is WAN and other LANs are acting like a switch). Two computers were connected to LAN2 and LAN3. After sending 5 or 6 GB of this large file, one of the ports locked up. Strange but LAN1 locked up actually. And as I wrote earlier. This was third time in a month that I've noticed this problem.

I wonder if locking up problem exists the same way as it was in Ubiquiti products.
Normis?

adrianatkins
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: RB 750 ethernet lock up

Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:30 pm

Nah.

It might be the same hardware, but it is different firmware.

UBNT screwed up big time with the firmware is all.

Have you tried a different RB750 ?

Raf
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:38 pm

Firmware is not the point. AR7240 has built-in switch right? So Atheros must provide proprietary drivers to this chip. I guess that MT and Ubi uses the same files provided by Atheros.

I'm asking if anyone has encountered this problem and maybe someone from MT will tell if locking up exists in R750.

adrianatkins
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:34 pm

Personally i have not seen an RB750 ethernet lockup.

I have zero deployed yet, but was quite active in testing the Ubiquiti Rocket firmwares to try to find out why the Rocket Ethernet port locked up.

I used 2 RB750s as the Bandwidth server and client.

Passing lotsa Gb, the RB750s did not lock up. The Rocket did.

Atheros give out binaries of the core stuff that they want kept secret. Those parts are definitely the same, although i guess that if you Pay Atheros, then you can get a differnt version.

The Userspace or maybe the Kernel interface bits must be vendor-supplied, so the code is different code.

I was told that the Ubiquiti progrmmers were working on it, so there must be a vendor-supplied part.

UBNT then told me to piss off, and banned me forever from their forum.

Raf
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:12 am

OK. Maybe Normis will post some statement regarding this :)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:17 am

We have not see anything like it, and we do test really a lot of them

Raf
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:53 am

OK. I'll do more tests of my 750 and I'll test another 750.
Another weird thing happend when LAN1 (acting as a WAN) turned off by itself. The load was pretty small and I really don't know why it happend.

RK
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:18 am

Are you using the latest software?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:13 pm

Are you using the latest software?
RB750 are quite new, it's a small chance that he has anything older than v3.30

texaco
just joined

Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:43 am

don't feel like the lone ranger.. ubiquity bullets fail and are shipped not working and vendors wont make them good, ubiquity guy named Ford is a jerk and said it is my issue.. to hell with ubiquity.. i just go all mikrotik now.

first vendor that i find that refuses to sell ubiquity products will have ALL my business!

cwelch
just joined

Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:39 pm

I know there has been no activity on this in a while, but just curious how everyone's experience has been? I have had 2 rb750's lock up in the last week. Both on 4.10, not had any trouble in now and both units have been in service for some time. I don't think it is a heat issue, but both are sitting in NEMA rated outdoor enclosures, and it's been about 104 degrees lately. However, there was nothing wrong last summer with these units either. Any thoughts?

These are not in default switch mode really. One is acting as a router with Eth1 being WAN bridged to an rb411. The other has 2x rb433s and a UBNT M5 Rocket attached to it. It acts only as the PPPoE concentrator since UBNT's Rocket stuff doesn't have a PPPoE server on it. Boo! But that is about all there is to it.

adrianatkins
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:38 am

Personally i have not had the courage to enable the RB750's switch.

Bridge works OK so far.

ericsooter
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:31 pm

I've had pretty good luck with these guys. But the last order we deployed have had problems with Ethernet lockups. They are all in outdoor box environments. All are running 4.10. Although, I'm not sure about firmware versions. In one location we are having to reset the box daily. Replaced box and power supply yesterday and it locked up again within 18 hours. Typically when it happens all the Ethernet lights will be on. I will try firmware upgrades and let everyone know if that helps.

Eric

poinths

Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:04 am

Not sure if I have the lockup problem as well or a different one.
I received a brand-new RB750 two weeks ago. The unit is powered on since then (via UPS), but stopped responding a few times. Despite having a WAN connection and sending the status to an external server every 10 minutes via script, the port 1 LED goes off and only the power indicator remains on.
No way to connect via any of the ports.
I then have to manually reset the box and all is fine again (for a while).
I am using the stock power supply and upgraded ROS from 4.9 to 4.11.
I was hoping to use these units for low end hotspot installations, but I am not convinced that I would like to go through any hardware trouble. Having a few RB450G's at customer sites, they seem to be stable compared to the RB750. I am now using an external syslog and might get some more information at the time of the freeze.
I now upgraded the f/w from 2.26 to 2.27 ...

adrianatkins
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:39 pm

I've got qute a few (50+) Rb750's out there with various firmware versions on them.

I have not seen 1 single ethernet lockup yet, and they are in varying environments and with varying loads.

Always look at the Power Supply as your #1 culprit for wierd faults.

I put batteries on everything wherever i can.

ericsooter
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:16 am

I hate to awaken threads with a few months inactivity; but the lockups I have experienced seem to be very related to heat. Up to a few days ago; we hadn't had any lockups on the RB750's for about 4 months. Of course we are in the winter months and out of the 100 degree weather. But a few days ago I had one lockup happen. This particular site is a rural water tower with a pump room next to it which happens to be where we have the equipment. When I got there, they had a space heater inside cranked up very high. Was probably about 110-120f (49 c) degrees in that building. I turned the heater down and aired out the room; reset the 750 and all has been good since.

Looking back at my other lockup problems this summer. They happened in the heat of the day (2-3PM). Temperatures were around 100F (38C). Most were in outdoor metal enclosures exposed to direct sunlight (no shade).

Are the 750's rated for this type of heat? I see the spec sheet has them rated for 55C. Is the plastic case trapping extra heat? If 45-50C is a problem for these units, then this could cause problems for people in hotter summer climates.

Eric