Community discussions

MikroTik App

cheinzle
Topic Author

etherboot on RB230 (bad LILO)

Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:52 pm

whilst upgrading RB230 OS, LILO had become corrupted. It now hangs with a message:

Booting IDE...
LILO 22.3.4 Loading System.............

and never gets any farther. I need to recover the device, getting MT OS reinstalled. Whats the best way to do this?? Etherboot?? If so, has anyone done this successfully?

My other option is to copy a flash disk with a known good install of MT OS onto another flash disk and booting with that. Id have license issues to resolve, but at least Id have a bootable OS.

Please help

Montana
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:41 pm

cheinzle, I have had a lit of LILO problems with my CF cards. The only way that I have used is the CD Install. I slip in the CD and the CF in to my computer that I have set up for this and run the program. It will ask you what packages you wish to install. I install all but the last wireless package. Then tell it to install. It will tell you that you are about to overwrite the disk, select OK. Then it will ask if you would like to keep the configuration file, select SAVE if you want to keep your old configuration data. That is it. The licenses will not be erased and the old configuration will be kept.