Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

johndjmix
Topic Author

Do you need to use both antenna connectors?

Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:30 am

Hi, im getting ready to setup a 1.5 mile PTP connection. I have purchased a few alfa 2000mw usb adapters with 19dbi panel antenna's for a quick cheap way to test the connectivity before installing mikrotik's. We currently use mikrotik for internal non-wireless routing now, and they work great. Can't wait to try them with the wifi (Since aparently thats what they were made for!).

I have done a lot of reading here, but one question I cant see a definate answer for. I noticed most mini-pci cards have two connectors for antenna's. Why? I was thinking maybe if you are using 2 antenna's (One for send, one for receive)? But what if I just want to use one, for a simple setup? Must i terminate the other to avoid problems with blowing out the card?

Thanks in advance guys...

--John

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Do you need to use both antenna connectors?

Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:52 am

John, I'm not sure what kinds of cards you have. But it is fine that card has two connectors, use Main connecter and there would not be any problems. N cards could use two connectors simultaneously, there are no any advantages for regular card with two connectors.

johndjmix
Topic Author

Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:58 pm

Didnt get the cards yet, just noticed the dual connectors. Ok, so with the N cards what is the purpose of the dual connectors? I assume for using 2 antenna's (One for transmit one for recieve)? Or is it possible to aim one antenna one direction for coverage of one area and aim the other another direction?

Thanks...

poli5681

Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:24 pm

The N cards have MIMO technology; This gives you better signal and higher data rates.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIMO
But you´re fine with a single chain setup, even with N.

johndjmix
Topic Author

Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:26 am

Got cha. Read the wiki just now. So all the posts i read to that refer to "chains" are refering to a single antenna vs dual antenna's?

~john

poli5681

Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:22 am

Yes - exactly.
You may find many threads here discussing the difference of such setups;
So you´ll get an idea what to expect of each one.