Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

steen
Topic Author

NV2 compatible radioboards ?

Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:27 pm

Hello Folks!

I have question regarding Nv2 supported radioboards, if my boards are supported by Nv2.

Manual for Nv2 say: starting from AR5212 AR5212, but not supported on older AR5211 and AR5210 chips.

Winbox say they are all:
Atheros AR5413

But from command line my boards are told to be:
/system resource pci print
Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5006X 802.11abg NIC
Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC

Comfusing what is correct ?

Will installations with AR5006X work with Nv2 or do I need to upgrade all that hardware first ?

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: NV2 compatible radioboards ?

Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:01 am

if it shows 5413 then it should work with Nv2. Of course we would recommend to upgrade to N capable wireless cards ;)

steen
Topic Author

Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:57 pm

if it shows 5413 then it should work with Nv2. Of course we would recommend to upgrade to N capable wireless cards ;)
Hope you are right ant it will work.

At the time of buying MT devices we were not aware about that same product could be equipped with various radioboards. All was bought as RIC522C (antenna with embedded MT routerboard and routeros).

If it does not work however, we are in trouble, there are very many RIC522C out there with the boards we describe. It is a big task to switch radioboards in all antennas over the years, not only cost but also many hours of work over a big area :-(

steen
Topic Author

Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:36 pm

My distributor Leo say they will work, do not worry, and I believe him, most things he say has working from past.

I will write here about real life nv2 and the boards later.

flipdee
just joined

Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:52 pm

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone can clarify this for me.
Is Nv2 limited to non-N cards or does it work with some N cards too?
Many Thanks,
flipdee

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:18 am

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone can clarify this for me.
Is Nv2 limited to non-N cards or does it work with some N cards too?
Many Thanks,
flipdee
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Nv2
Show your appreciation of this post by giving me Karma! Thanks.

Rudy R. Puister

WISP operator based on MT routerboard & ROS.

flipdee
just joined

Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:38 am

Hi WirelessRudy,
Many thanks for your reply.
On the interface list there are several mini-Pci cards however they don't mention nv2 compatibility.
It does mention Turbo mode,I assume this isn't another name for nv2?
Can anyone recommend a mini-Pci .N, 2 or 5ghz, card suitable for nv2.

That's,
flipdee

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:06 am

On the interface list there are several mini-Pci cards however they don't mention nv2 compatibility.
It does mention Turbo mode,I assume this isn't another name for nv2?
Can anyone recommend a mini-Pci .N, 2 or 5ghz, card suitable for nv2.
I think most (if not all) modern cards work with nv2.
But most of the cards you see users of this forum use (MT, ubnt, dBII) do work well with NV2.
It has nothing to do with turbo mode.
I hope this satisfies your request a bit for now...

Rudy R. Puister

rmichael
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:49 am

nv2 seems to have a hard time (worse than nstreme) with multipath interference so I'd say that cards with 802.11n/MIMO are the most suitable for it.

flipdee
just joined

Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:27 pm

Hi, thanks for the advice on this.
Are both the R52nM and R52Hn cards mimo types?
Normally mimo would be 3 antennas for the max 3 simultaneous streams?
Although the throughout quoted for the R52's is more than satisfactory.
Just trying to build a test routerboard x86 machine while getting the best cards possible that can ultimately be swopped into a suitable rb, an rb435g for example.
Cheers,
flipdee
This may be a stupid question, do most people use a mikrotik card in their routerboards or has anyone achieved better throughput with another brand?

flipdee
just joined

Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:00 pm

Wow, I am stupid.
The datasheets clearly state MIMO support.
Can't believe I missed that.
Sorry for the unnecessary question about that.
flipdee

rmichael
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:11 pm

3 antenna cards are not very popular and therefore will have more issues - I would stick to 2x2 MIMO setup unless you absolutely need the extra bandwidth.

flipdee
just joined

Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:27 pm

Hi rmichael,
Thanks a lot for your advice.
I think I will stick to the 2x2 Mimo.
I don't know if anyone uses Routerboard's as Access Point replacements, i.e. lots of "generic" clients, i.e. android phones, windows laptops etc?
RB's are obviously designed to create bespoke networks, but the only reason I would probably be curious about using 3x3 Mimo is to improve throughput to devices such as these, where signal strength etc can be less controlled and you need all the help you can get.
Thanks again,
flipdee

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:50 am

nv2 seems to have a hard time (worse than nstreme) with multipath interference so I'd say that cards with 802.11n/MIMO are the most suitable for it.
How's that? Explain?
I use nv2 in heavy spectrum used environment and I have no problems. Yes, they were plenty of adjacent channel interference problems in the first version but MT seems to have brought them all under control, at least in 5Ghz band...

Rudy R. Puister

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:59 am

3 antenna cards are not very popular and therefore will have more issues - I would stick to 2x2 MIMO setup unless you absolutely need the extra bandwidth.
You can have 3x3 mimo on one card. And still have two or three cards in one rb433AH for instance. Not recommended though, to have more than 1 card in one box, but it is workable under certain conditions. (I do it myself with 3 x 802.11a cards in one box).

In 2x2 or 3x3 the radio works on all antenna's at the same frequency, so it is in fact one radio.

3x3 mimo is not popular because most vendors don't make them yet. But is a matter of time to see more of them arriving, specially when 802.11ac come out next year that is developped to work with 3x3 mimo.

Some vendors already have mimo setup with 5, 9 or even more antenna's. High end stuff....

Rudy R. Puister

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:15 am

Hi rmichael,
Thanks a lot for your advice.
I think I will stick to the 2x2 Mimo.
I don't know if anyone uses Routerboard's as Access Point replacements, i.e. lots of "generic" clients, i.e. android phones, windows laptops etc?
RB's are obviously designed to create bespoke networks, but the only reason I would probably be curious about using 3x3 Mimo is to improve throughput to devices such as these, where signal strength etc can be less controlled and you need all the help you can get.
Thanks again,
flipdee
3x3 mimo to serve 1x1 or 2x2 clients helps little. You only increase the signal a little (1x1AP => 2x2AP gives 3dB extra, 2x2=>3x3 give 1,5dB extra, 1x1=>3x3 gives 4,5dB extra signal.) The connected conn. rates are also depending on the amount of chains and the bandwith compared with the modulations used. It's obvious a legacy 1x1 card will never be able to connect at more then 54Mbps, even in a full 3x3 mimo AP capable of doing 600Mb.
So, only on the perimeters of your AP's signal range 2x2 or 3x3 will give a little bit better signal to a 1x1 device, and can thus sustain a possible hihger data rate.
But if the signal already is good you won't see any improvements.
On the contrary, one legacy device will drop the total mimo AP network to lower data rates so 2x2 devices are no longer served at the higher possible data rates.
(Unless you use some high end stuff that can..)

Rudy R. Puister

rmichael
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:01 am

How's that? Explain?
I use nv2 in heavy spectrum used environment and I have no problems. Yes, they were plenty of adjacent channel interference problems in the first version but MT seems to have brought them all under control, at least in 5Ghz band...

To me nv2 offers good and stable throughput for PtP but as soon as more than 2 CPEs contend for bandwidth they start stepping on each other toes so to speak. 5GHz signal attenuates quickly compared to 900MHz so I don't think you'd have as big multipath/reflections issues.