Community discussions

MikroTik App

RogerWilco
Topic Author

RB411U and 3G USB modem

Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:55 am

I've got a RB411U and a Sierra Wireless AirCard 312U USB modem. The modem is not on the supported cards list.

The modem shows up in the ports list but when I use the serial terminal like this: /system serial-terminal usb2
All I get is this:

[admin@MikroTik] > system serial-terminal usb2

[Ctrl-A is the prefix key]

Pink cursor...

I cannot type a single thing. The only input I can type is the prefix key. Nothing works. Am I missing something? How do I type stuff in?
Also, trying different channels has the same result.

Thanks for any help.

ghiooo
just joined

Re: RB411U and 3G USB modem

Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:39 am

i had 411u connected with a huawei e220. worked fine for 3 days, than went offline. i tried the v5rc10, still nothing, i can't get it to work. it stays on "reseting link" (probably meaning "reseTTing link"). but because worked fine for 3 days, i did the mistake to buy 3 more 411u routerboards. now i think i'll be fired. that's life.

JorgeAmaral
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:55 am

i had 411u connected with a huawei e220. worked fine for 3 days, than went offline. i tried the v5rc10, still nothing, i can't get it to work. it stays on "reseting link" (probably meaning "reseTTing link"). but because worked fine for 3 days, i did the mistake to buy 3 more 411u routerboards. now i think i'll be fired. that's life.
Does it show authenticated, then resetting link?

If yes the problem is on the apn. Ask your ISP what apn you need to set.

If not, can you connect by serial terminal and do query's to the e220?

Best regards,

ghiooo
just joined

Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:00 pm

No problem on the APN, it just cannot connect. After "initializing", it sends the "reseting link" followed by very slow responsive interface, packet loss on eth1, disconnection (problably because of the timeout).

Thank You!

hedele

Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:18 am

I unfortunately know of these problems... usually a reboot or USB power cycle should fix the problem...

mikko

Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:34 am

I have had similar connection problems with a Huawei E160E usb modem. But it does the same with windows too, so I think that is not necessarily the routeros issue.

Once it got stuck to some state that routeros didn't connect even I reinserted modem and rebooted many times (just endless initializind and reseting). That was about year ago before I updated huawei firmware. On that occasion it started working after I once connected with it on windows. Don't know if huawei windows software sends some specific AT initializing command to the modem.

I recommend to check if there are firmware updates to your modem. My e160e has worked much better after I updated modem firmware to latest version.