Community discussions

MikroTik App

miahac
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

RB1100ah bypass ports - POE as backup power

Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:30 pm

I just got my shiny new 1100ah and noticed immediatly the bypass switch Is this only available with switch, or can it be available via power off, router failure, or programmed into ROS. I can see this would simplify VRRP wiring. Be useful as in a transparent proxy etc.

Also can the POE be used as a backup power supply? i.e. If I plug power into both the back and POE will it fry something? If I unplug one or the other will it keep running?

Docteh

Re: RB1100ah bypass ports - POE as backup power

Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:54 am

I had one of these on my desk for about 5 minutes (loud!)

Bypass works as such, if switched to on and router is on, ports act normally, if you then unplug the router, the two ports are physically connected.

I dont think POE works that way, most people will use one power source or anther.

miahac
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:39 pm

The pass through makes it one step closer to the center of my DC, not even my heavy routers can do that. Unfortunately I could not test that feature before I sent this pair on their way. If I had two power supplies, I could put this sucker at the core of my network (esp when the dc model comes out in june).

wpeople

Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:46 pm

I think the current RB1000 and RB1100 series already DC (they have the external adapter fixed into box)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

miahac
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Wed May 04, 2011 11:01 pm

LOL, I realized I used "DC" for three reasons through out the post
DC = Data Center
DC = Direct Current
DC = Dual CORE

The RB 1100 could be at the core of my Data Center once the Dual Core model comes out in June, especially if I could supply power from two [DC/AC] sources.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu May 05, 2011 8:41 am

most of new RouterBOARD models can use PoE as backup power supply. Ie, use power both at the PoE port and at the 220V jack, and if one power source is gone, board will continue to work on the other. This is true for the RB700 and 400 series, will check about RB1100

wpeople

Thu May 05, 2011 10:47 am

I also saw a switch, what can be used for handling two different DC source and one output. If first failed, it will switch to second. Probably it can switch without causing power loss with some buffer.

miahac
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Thu May 05, 2011 9:23 pm

I also saw a switch, what can be used for handling two different DC source and one output. If first failed, it will switch to second. Probably it can switch without causing power loss with some buffer.
If this is AC, I think I have seen one but to me its just another piece of equipment that can fail. The advantage of two DC power sources (or two AC/DC converters) is that you are elliminating the ac/dc converter as a point of failure.

I see on problem with this interal/POE as reduncancy even if it is available, and that is power supply failure alerts, buzzers and lights

wpeople

Sun May 08, 2011 9:18 pm

it's a DC switch - what can switch from different DC sources - if primary fails swith to secondary.

roc-noc.com
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon May 09, 2011 3:00 am

most of new RouterBOARD models can use PoE as backup power supply. Ie, use power both at the PoE port and at the 220V jack, and if one power source is gone, board will continue to work on the other. This is true for the RB700 and 400 series, will check about RB1100
Hey Normis,

I wasn't aware of this. Please verify this on all current RouterBoards.

That is an awesome feature and should be advertised and documented. We have customers looking for dual power supplies all the time. Now we can offer that feature with RouterBoards.

Tom

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon May 09, 2011 8:25 am

Yes, this is true to all RouterBOARD devices which don't use PoE selector jumper (RB532 or RB333 was the last, can't say for sure), ie. all current models.

It will select the highest voltage of the two. There will be no reboot if you unplug one of the cables. Try and see.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:28 am

This is amazing! Never knew this... This is a tread last used 2,5yrs ago and still this very, VERY usefull feature is still knowhere mentioned...
've been looking (and I'm not the only one) for all kind of external duplicate power sources to prevent downtime in case of grid failure (not so rare under the spanish sun..... :( )
So all my boards can actually have backup power without the need of 3rd party equipments... if I only would have known that earlier... would have save me a lot of bucks I could have spend on more MT stuff......

MT, do yourself a favour and promote this very, very handy and much needed feature......

And hah! Yes it would be a nice feature if new boards would come with 2 input voltage monitors we can script against so we can have an alarm if mains (or backup) goes down....