Community discussions

MikroTik App

sparki
just joined
Topic Author

New router with SFP port

Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:07 am

I was at the MUM meeting in Brisbane and saw the new router with an SFP port that will be released soon.

It was mentioned that it could be used in a 'Fibre to the Home' (FTTH) deployment. As most FTTH equipment is based on GPON or GEPON, will the new routerboard be capable of supporting GPON/GEPON SFP modules?

The reason I ask is that it would be great to have a Mikrotik based OLT for future projects we are working on. :o)

Cheers,
Dan

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: New router with SFP port

Sat May 28, 2011 1:13 pm

Yes, the RB2011 will support GEPON via the appropriate GEPON ONU SFP module

gregclemmons
just joined

Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:08 pm

Any hopes of OLT pon on the sfp? this would be a God Sent feature.

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:25 pm

There will be SFP socket on the board, in theory if you can find SFP module with desired feature then it should work.
At least in switches you can plug almost any SFP module and it just works (had problems only with branded modules - something like "Cisco only". )

meskiokas
just joined

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:45 pm

Does anybody know any particular model of GPON compatible SFP which would work on MikroTik ?

vincen
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:29 pm

and do you know how to connect on the RB2011 Fiber version to an SC connector ? my ISP here in france (Orange/SFR) delivers wall mounted socket that has SC connector on it so I don't know how to transform it in SFP port to connect to my RB2011 !

Thanks

Quindor

Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:10 pm

and do you know how to connect on the RB2011 Fiber version to an SC connector ? my ISP here in france (Orange/SFR) delivers wall mounted socket that has SC connector on it so I don't know how to transform it in SFP port to connect to my RB2011 !

Thanks
Euhm, it seems to me you need to do quite a bit of additional research.

The routerboard has an SFP slot, this is a versitale slot which accepts a lot of different type of media connections. Mainly these are used to connect fiber/light based transport technologies. That way the routerboard itself does not need to have the hardware to connect to the transport layer but this is moved to the SFP. So if you wanted to go max 500 meters, you'd get a shortwave SFP with for instance an LC connector. If you wanted to go 10km with the attached fiber, you'd buy a a longwave SFP also with an LC connector. SFP's are mostly used to connect fibers with an LC connector.

If your ISP gave you a wallmount with an SC connector, the only thing you would need is a little cable that goes from SC - LC and the appropriate SFP.

For the SFP and fiber you will have to ask your provider. Is it multimode, single mode, maybe they use a different form? I know of ISP's here in the Netherlands which use special SFP's so that you only need one fibre cable instead of two for duplex traffic, etc. etc.

Hopefully this can help you a bit. The question you asked is unanswerable without further knowledge. :)

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:42 pm

Thanks
Yes you simply need a GEPON SFP module, these are widely available.

However, it is unlikely your provider supports third party devices for their network. If it is a GEPON based network you can probably get the RB2011 working, but you may need to clone the MAC address of the "official" unit on to the SFP1 port on the RB2011.

vincen
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:25 pm

Yes you simply need a GEPON SFP module, these are widely available.
However, it is unlikely your provider supports third party devices for their network. If it is a GEPON based network you can probably get the RB2011 working, but you may need to clone the MAC address of the "official" unit on to the SFP1 port on the RB2011.
Thanks for details and help but in fact for now I can forget that as I have a basic problem that is not soon resolved :( I just tested the beta of OS 6 but it still doesn't include Mode 60 setup in DHCP client so I'm unable to make my router looks like the original modem of the ISP ! so for now it's dead end :( I'm very surprised and disappointed to discover that Mikrotik doesn't manage such basic feature :(

Vincèn

Łukasz
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:36 pm

Does anybody know any particular model of GPON compatible SFP which would work on MikroTik ?
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Supported ... FP_modules

meskiokas
just joined

Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:04 pm

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Supported ... FP_modules

Ok, but witch one of those is GPON SFP?
I have to highlight that my ISP uses GPON, but not GEPON.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:25 am

If they use GPON you are out of luck, you will need to use their supplied unit.

meskiokas
just joined

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:32 am

why so ?

vincen
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:33 am

If they use GPON you are out of luck, you will need to use their supplied unit.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought GPON is just fact that fiber of each flat is then grouped into one fiber out of building, compared to FTTH that is one fiber from each flat to central telco ! Why should it change something in optical/electronic interface of the fiber in flat itself ? there is just some additional layers for communication that needs to be handled by the router no ?

meskiokas
just joined

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:45 am

Thats correct.
But every flat as you said uses different wavelengh for download and upload (I'm not sure or vice versa) goes simultaneously to every user.
These features are handeled by HW, in this case by SFP module.
As the matter of fact, I've found few such modules but can't find anywhere to buy it.
Mikrotik say that it doesn’t have hardware support for PON (Passive Optical Network) - this hardware support MUST be implemented on SFP transceiver itself.
So I think that it should be somewhere in the market but I need exact place and model

vincen
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:55 am

But every flat as you said uses different wavelengh for download and upload (I'm not sure or vice versa) goes simultaneously to every user.
These features are handeled by HW, in this case by SFP module.
oky for these details, I guessed the splitter/combiner for all flats in a same building was an active equipment but it's not (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gpon) but as ISP use same ONT for everyone, I guess it exists some SFP that you can configure by software on correct wavelength similar to ONT ?

meskiokas
just joined

Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:25 pm

I don't really know how it works, but it might be that OLT assings correct wavelengh by ONT MAC or something similair.
ISP engineers should visit my office in few days, I'll ask them what do I really need to replace their equipment with mine one.

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:42 pm

You are wrong. GEPON utilizes TDMA technology. Each ONU (CPE) uses dedicated timeslot for upload. And all download traffic just goes to all the ONUs in the network segment.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:10 am

why so ?
Because GPON is vastly more complex than GEPON and requires specific intelligence CPE side.