Community discussions

MikroTik App

npyoung
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Ethernet 2 quits passing traffic

Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:20 pm

I'm having problems on a RB530 with Eth 2. It seems to stop passing traffic now and again (the frequency of outages is increasing). The only way to bring this interface back (it shows normal operation in the CLI/Winbox) is by rebooting. Dis/Enabling doesn't do anything, changing Auto Negotion to manual, 10Mbps vs 100, nothing other than reboot. This RB530 has the 564 daughterboard, and is running 2.9.6. It's only been in the field about a month; and I've had freeze up problems on this board as well. (These seem to have gone away for the moment.)

The only ususual item, perhaps compared to other uses, in our use of this board is power. We are running it on the lower voltage setting via the power plug (not PoE) at 23vdc, as the board is at a 24vdc solar/wind site. The power is being regulated via a LM317 based power supply to keep the voltage at spec.

npyoung
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

And now it seems to be spreading to other interfaces...

Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:31 am

Just had an ethernet interface (Eth6) fail in the same way on the same board. Only a reboot would bring it back to passing traffic. This is some very fragile hardware. I'm not impressed. I cannot run a reliable service across it. The RB 230 was rock-steady, but just couldn't support the number of ethernet interfaces I needed and based on my experience with it, I expected very good results with the RB532 as well. That has not been the case.

The burning question I have is: running this board at 23vdc---is this a problem?

npyoung
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

--Syslog shows nothing

Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:38 am

When these failures occur, syslog isn't showing anything other than PPPoE customers disconnecting on the effected interface. Nothing to indicate that something just tilted; just that the effected interface stops passing traffic.

By the way, the interfaces so far effected are connected to two different radios from different manufactures, the first Karlnet, the second a Motorola Canopy AP.

daiceman
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:25 pm

I was having a similiar problem. My eth on MT was plugged directly into a Cisco AP and was dropping randomly, for random amounts of time. I had to set both devices to NOT autonegotiate and since my cable run was reaching 300' I stepped them down to 10Mbps and all has been well.

Hope this applies to you setup and can help

Jeff

npyoung
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thanks

Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:02 pm

Thanks, Jeff, I'll give it a go.