What are those extra LAN port for?

Run multiple cable from rooftop to basement? he he he

Wirelessguy

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Omnitik

Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:35 pm

Not sure. But maybe you consider using this as indoor AP in a factory hall.
You're free to connect nearby equipment with cable.

mapunda

Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:40 pm

That is the issue of 4 wheels drive and 2 wheels drive. Everything as got its own purpose. If you need to have external antenna port you can just assemble routerboards to meet your purpose.

If you need to install antennas at high tower and you do not what to run cables this product is not for you. Just assemble routerboards.

For the pole mount at rooftop, my cable runs are only 4 to 6 meters from my power backup. So I can easy run as may cables as I want.

To me this device is well designed. I real like to know the performance in real life.

Raf
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:57 am

Cmon Mikrotik!!........ UBiquiti is Laughing at your products. They got hot selling devices.
If you don't like MikroTik products, simply use Ubiquiti ones and stop insulting them without any good argument. As Normis said more than once - it's hard to please everyone and it's not possible.

hapi
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:00 am

I ask, in what state is the most customers? I am an ISP from the Czech Republic and here is something like omnitik not applicable. Interference can not use omnitik. Omnidirectional antenna is useless here in the cities.

I am a big supporter of Mikrotik, but what it lately Mikrotik does is bad. He does everything so that more people switched to Ubiquity. Here is sold 2-3x more Ubiquiti devices than Mikrotik. Dual RB711 do not get one, even if it's a lot ran the sale.

to RaF: where do you live?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:01 am

to RaF: where do you live?

Raf
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:35 am

@Hapi: I agree with You that Ubiquiti "stole" many MikroTik customers but as I hear from people... Nv2 is more polished than AirMax protocol. Also RouterOS cannot be compared to AirOS.

OmniTik looks promising. 7.5 dBi bunny ears antennas will be good for small base station (micro cell). I think that long range base stations are gone these days. Micro cells with high throughput or long range with smaller speeds.

Update:
I am an ISP from the Czech Republic and here is something like omnitik not applicable. Interference can not use omnitik.
Sorry, but interference in your city is not MikroTik fault... Others will use it. Sorry it won't fit you.

mapunda

Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:02 pm

Hapi

NV2 protocol of MT is best as compared to AIROS. I had a site with very high interference where rocket5 with sector of 16db did not manage to connect my Nano CPEs. I used to switch from TDMA to 802 with no success.

Later I installed MT with omni of 7.5dbi NV2. The site is very stable for almost 6 months. As far as I know, NV2 works like Canopy. You would be better off if you use NV2 for the site that has high interference

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:43 pm

I can confirm that nv2 works very good where 802.11 and nstreme constantly disconnect.

wirelessguy1
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Cmon Mikrotik!!........ UBiquiti is Laughing at your products. They got hot selling devices.
If you don't like MikroTik products, simply use Ubiquiti ones and stop insulting them without any good argument. As Normis said more than once - it's hard to please everyone and it's not possible.
Ubiquiti got backlogs with their devices due to high demand..so I'm looking for alternatives. Mikrotik is the best candidate but some of its product are not well executed.

I do prefer the technology of Mikrotik....it's a class of it's own. The only issue is that.. most end user are just satisfied with technology that works even with minor inconvenience.

I guess you know KISS..Ubiquiti got this and that is my good argument.

Wirelessguy1

lazerusrm
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:47 am

Ubiquiti got backlogs with their devices due to high demand..so I'm looking for alternatives. Mikrotik is the best candidate but some of its product are not well executed.

I do prefer the technology of Mikrotik....it's a class of it's own. The only issue is that.. most end user are just satisfied with technology that works even with minor inconvenience.

Wirelessguy1

In your opinion.

UBNT has a very very limited feature set.

What does UBNT Offer you that MT Cant? More integrated solutions? Simple Ui? What?

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:09 am

Wirelessguy1
For a single link/AP. But as Wisp I need some additional routers with
advanced features. Using MT I have one OS that fits them all. This
does simplify things a lot. We moved from a cisco/proxim mix to
a complete MT solution. We do mix other eqipment in where MT cant
do the job. But this are things (licensed links, 5,8ghz etsi, wimax)
that cant be done with Ubiquity either. So using Ubiquity wouldn't
simplify anything here.

wirelessguy1
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:25 pm

Wirelessguy1

In your opinion.

UBNT has a very very limited feature set.

What does UBNT Offer you that MT Cant? More integrated solutions? Simple Ui? What?
KISS- Keep It Simple Stupid :)

mahnet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:34 pm

Microcells r excellent for us to reach out every corner. We have a good OFC Mesh in around 5km radius but still we find it hard to pull cables to every home.

Ominitik is the solution.... We are using 411ah with externally connected omni's and now a complete package like ominitk would help us resolve lot of integration work.

u know FART - Fix And Rest Technique ;) hahaha

pospanko
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:03 pm

What are those extra LAN port for?

Run multiple cable from rooftop to basement? he he he

Wirelessguy
I find it very usefully for AP with 2-3 links for redundancy and user ethernet connection (house or building where I place it).

But, as mentioned in some other posts, PoE out on 2-5 interfaces would be great.

dannyboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:45 am

Hello guys,

I am looking at the Omnitik. The radio says the folloowing:
Wireless:
IEEE802.11a/b/g wireless client and access point
Full IEEE802.11n support
Nstreme and Nstreme2 proprietary protocols
NV2 protocol
Wireless Distribution System (WDS)
Virtual AP
WEP, WPA, WPA2
Access control list
Wireless client roaming
WMM
HWMP+ Wireless MESH protocol
MME wireless routing protocol

Ok, So does this mean that if I put this as a hotspot I will be able to have all types of clients connect? I done understand if its a 5ghz how does it transmit to a 802.11 b? I need to know if this is true because am about to kick Ubiquiti to the curb and looking for a city wide solution. I am already using MT as my main access controler "No Wireless". I want to make all my network MT and I like this OmniTik a lot.. But I dont want to loose clients that dont have N or better saying use b/g devices.. Please advice since tomorrow I need to get some to send to Nicaragua.....Daniel

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:36 am

Hello guys,

I am looking at the Omnitik. The radio says the folloowing:
Wireless:
IEEE802.11a/b/g wireless client and access point
Full IEEE802.11n support
Nstreme and Nstreme2 proprietary protocols
NV2 protocol
Wireless Distribution System (WDS)
Virtual AP
WEP, WPA, WPA2
Access control list
Wireless client roaming
WMM
HWMP+ Wireless MESH protocol
MME wireless routing protocol

Ok, So does this mean that if I put this as a hotspot I will be able to have all types of clients connect? I done understand if its a 5ghz how does it transmit to a 802.11 b? I need to know if this is true because am about to kick Ubiquiti to the curb and looking for a city wide solution. I am already using MT as my main access controler "No Wireless". I want to make all my network MT and I like this OmniTik a lot.. But I dont want to loose clients that dont have N or better saying use b/g devices.. Please advice since tomorrow I need to get some to send to Nicaragua.....Daniel
Omnitik is 5GHz 802.11an (no bg) only.

dannyboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:48 pm

Ok,

Thanks for the response. Now Why would MT make an AP that only supports 5ghz? I think they should off made both 2.4ghz and 5ghz Omnitik. What is the point of doing this if 90% of equipment out there are not compatible with it. I been reading and even if you have b/g/n wireless card on your laptop still uses the 2.4ghz frequency, and that's the new laptops!.. Well I guess I need to continue shopping. I needed 196 of this units but I guess there goes that Idea...

Dannyboy

Petzl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:45 pm

The omnitik is a great antenna ...

we use them as a main node router, the 4 extra ports are used to connect other devices.
We prefer using the sheaper omnitik because you can do a POE mod on the omnitik.
We don't like to use the omnitik UPA since it has troubles powering other devices.

Last week i did some testing with modding the UPA moddel for direct poe (not switched) output.
If you need a voltage monitor you can also use the groove for 2.4 ghz clients.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Petzl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:54 pm

Just one reply to MT about the omnitik

5% of the omnitiks have problems on the antenna's solder points.

- Short circuits (signal and ground)
- Ground or signal not connected

Also in default / and with no config all the HT's are not activted (can this be changed ?)

dannyboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:31 pm

Hello,

Great info petzl. Ok between the Omnitik and the Groove what would you use on a city wide network? Lets say all users will be 5ghz, all smartphones. Also can you send me the link of that omni you are using for the Groove? Looks nice and want to see the price to compare.

The omnitik I will be getting its the less expensive one. But I also like the Groove, but I would like to use the antenna you are using.

Thanks

Attached its my network plan..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.