Community discussions

MikroTik App

mirzaaaamir
just joined
Topic Author

Router Stucks between 4-8 PM evening Daily

Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:39 pm

Hello there

I am running RB 433AH with 2x R52N and 1x R52HN. Different users are assigned at each sector. This board is running 3x120 Sector antennas.

Problem is, between 4-8 PM in evening daily, users used to complaint that Internet is not working. I monitored all my RB+logs+CCQ+Signals. All seems good. All i have to do is, I used to reboot my MT Router and all streamed lined.

Can anyone please help why I am facing this issue, Or there is something else I should do. Please MT Support .....

mirzaaaamir
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Router Stucks between 4-8 PM evening Daily

Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:30 am

Isint there any clue or help ?

Borage
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:12 am

No Internet usually means that DNS resolution of an address failed, or routing problem. My first step would be ping and traceroute my own LAN, then my ISPs first host (gateway), and finally any hosts on the Internet. If all that works, then you can be sure that the DNS service is the problem.

tjc
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:41 am

Are any of the antennas for your main wireless links facing west into the setting sun?

mirzaaaamir
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:32 pm

Dear tjc, Yes, my one sector is towards WEST as you said.

rodolfo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:54 pm

did you have some scheduled scripts?

mirzaaaamir
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:29 am

dear rodolfo

I dont have any scripts

mirzaaaamir
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:43 pm

isnt there any idea, why this is happening to me, I am considering to replace MT with UBNT. Customers are not satisfied because of this daily routine problem.

tjc
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:13 am

Are any of the antennas for your main wireless links facing west into the setting sun?
An old time microwave tech I used to know told a "war story" about troubleshooting a corporate link that had weird problems every morning about the same time of day. It turned out that the antenna on the customers building was pointing dead into the rising sun and the noise swamped the link.

In addition to light, the sun produces lots and lots of RF. Satellite TV and telecom systems regularly have problems with this. Monitoring the S/N ratio and error rates across the time period should tell the tale.

The other obvious guesses would be volume of traffic (most places see an evening peak in network traffic) and other sources of interference. Got any friends in the local mobile phone industry? Ask them what their peak usage time is.

mirzaaaamir
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:54 am

Thanks a lot "tjc"

Let me tell you some of details, my users are connected with me with outdoor AP, they receive good quality signals strength all the day and even at that particular time. DNS pings, Gateway pings are perfect. I am also running transparent proxy in RB433ah.

Do you think, running a proxy might create problems OR it may refresh or flush its cache at that time ? How could I check that ? any idea ?

DNS cache remains full all the time, Could it be a issue ?

14-20 users are connected at the day and it goes upto 20-24 at mentioned time. Pings replies shows upto 800ms and in a day it is 2-10ms. I want to send you my configuration, If you prefer to see what is happening ?

Thanks a lot once again.

tjc
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:03 am

More detail earlier is the way to go with these questions. The real key to this kind of troubleshooting is to ask yourself two simple questions.

- What else happens when we see the symptoms. This is pure brainstorming. Be ready to consider even the remotely possible like "a nearby star is causing interference" or "that's when the heat buildup in the server room causes the CPU to throttle" or "that is when the cleaner unplugs the main router to plug in their vacuum and we switch to the backup".

- What can I measure/check/test to see if there's any relation. Monitoring and logging are your friends here.

You're the person on the ground, with access to the equipment, and knowledge of the details. Tell us what you've tried already, what you've eliminated, and we can suggest other things to look at. Are you maxing out a link somewhere? Is the CPU on some networking gear or server pegged? Are you hitting a disk throughput limit on some server? Is the DNS server keeping up? Are acks/naks flowing back fast enough to prevent stalls and retries?