Community discussions

MikroTik App

syed
just joined
Topic Author

RB750 Internet Usage

Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:36 am

Hi Guys

Q) I am currently been asked to advice the internet traffic usage by each appartment in a 4 appartment building. All appartments have an access point terminated back to the adsl router.

To resolve this issue, I bought a RB750 and will be connecting this device to my adsl router and patch all 4 access points to this device. Please can someone advise which Tool in the device is best one to monitor internet traffic usage on each port of the RB750.

Cheers

dasiu
Trainer
Trainer

Re: RB750 Internet Usage

Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:37 am

/tool graphing interface - it would monitor all trafic on a port.
If you wish to monitor only a specific traffic, like traffic to the internet, without local traffic between the users, you can use /queue simple - just to "catch" the traffic, without any limiting, and then monitor it with /tool graphing queue :).

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:50 pm

Netflows with a collector is going to be your best bet. By using a 750, by default it uses a switch chip, so the router will only see traffic going to the CPU through the master-port. You can break each port out of the switch chip and make each one it's own routed interface, then you can graph it internally that way or through SNMP. It basically comes down to how much detail you want to get.

syed
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:15 am

Hi Dasiu,

I have set-up /Tool graphing interface and also set-up /Queue, I cant see any traffic flowing in or out on my graphs. Please advise what could be the reason ?

Cheers

syed
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:18 am

Hi Feklar,

You are correct the 750 is only seeing traffic on Master Port and not showing any traffic on any other port. Please can you tell me how to break each port out of the switch chip and make the port its own routed interface.

Cheers

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:49 am

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Switch_Ch ... _Switching
Port Switching
Switching feature allows wire speed traffic passing among a group of ports, like the ports were a regular ethernet switch. You configure this feature by setting a "master-port" property to one ore more ports in /interface ethernet menu. A 'master' port will be the port through which the RouterOS will communicate to all ports in the group. Interfaces for which the 'master' port is specified become inactive - no traffic is received on them and no traffic can be sent out.
Set the 'master-port' property on ports to none to make them routed ports.

dasiu
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:55 am

Sorry, I missed the information, that you use hardware switching :). If you use switching chip, then the RouterBoard doesn't see any difference between the ethernet ports. To collect some statistics, you would need to create simple queues for different IP addresses (the access points' addresses?). Even if one appartment has more than one IP, each simple queue can have few IP's, collecting the traffic together.
And if you don't know, what IP addresses are attached to what appartment, and you want to check traffic on each port, you would need to stop using switching chip and use software bridging. It consumes CPU, but allows you to be aware of everything that is "flying" between the ports.