MikroTik App

soulflyhigh
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

New hardware found, but is it better?

Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:07 pm

Dear all,
Right now, I'm watching one of old 532a routerboards at my desk.
It has chips/memory made by VIA, nanya, Infineon, hynix, metal RJ-45 connectors...
and comparing it RB433AH and with image of this new product : http://download.routerboard.pl/rb433GL.pdf
Zentel?? MOC?? plastic RJ-45... where are we going with this kind of hardware?
(To be honest, it looks like memory is made by Samsung).
Yes, it is probably cheaper to manufacture and cheaper for us to buy it.
But, Mikrotik guys, this really looks like copy of Tetris made in PRC and I have big concerns about its reliability.
I doubt that price of this products would be much higher if those products were made using brand name (probably higher quality) chips.

10/100M ethernet ports od RB4xx series have enough (in)stability issues even without fragile plastic connectors.
In my opinion, downtime, troubleshooting, replacement of hardware on high towers and working hours spent on fixing problems caused by failed hardware cost us much more than initial savings on that cheaper hardware.

What is your opinion?

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: New hardware found, but is it better?

Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:13 pm

Yes, you're right.
Also disagree with the current production routerboard. PCB is almost like paper. Plastic Ethernet connectors :(
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57881

If you want a quality product so there is no choice

dingsingo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:37 pm

the Answere is simple, don't buy the Product !

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:55 pm

midnightman
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:16 pm

Yeah, but I want to use RB711 for example... Would you buy 50 RB711 if you knew that 80% will be bad? I am forced to using RB411+card....About this special new Cheap China Low edition board with plastic ETH....It looks like LEGO. We are building serious telecommunications networks!!!! We need reliable HW, not cheap Low LEGOs.

elgo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:14 am

We are building serious telecommunications networks!!!! We need reliable HW, not cheap Low LEGOs.
*Ahem* (sorry by advance but) why using routerboard (many failures and hardware reliability issues) + routerOS (many bugs and software reliability issues) then?
If you want serious networking, why not choosing serious components in the first place?

Sure, not the same price (for example: soekris net6501+pfsense = 4x rb450+rOS) but not exactly same processing power nor reliability either.

IMHO, there should be 2 routeboard lineups (with same advertised features): a regular cheap one (like all RB now and plastic ones coming) and a "pro" linup with more quality components.
That wouldn't fix rOS issues, but that would be a step forward.

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:49 am

pfsense has a LOT of its own bugs, and way less features than Mikrotik... Soekris may be much better hardware than Mikrotik hardware, but pfsense is nothing compared to Mikrotik OS.