Community discussions

MikroTik App

mankomal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

RB711 Problem Continued

Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:56 am

Normis, Please dont close this thread for sometime as I need others o report on this problem also...

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 11#p302904

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=56747

1. The Connector falling off is a real problem and needs to be fixed as the Shielded one was better in quality and was also seated well on the PCB compared to the non-shielded one. In addition to the physical state the shielded connector provides ESD drain from the board, reducing the RMA for over voltage.(refer to support ticket #2011090666000178)
2. The Rx/Tx deviation of 30db is a known issue, but if everyone could disclose the exact modl no. and manufacturer of the 5Ghz enclosure that they are using it will be helpful.
3. The problem in sending RMA is that most of the boards are tagged as DAMAGED DUE TO HIGH VOLTAGE and we have to bear the freight cost on those, but in most of the cases either the board are DOA and/or go dead after 1~2hr of total life time operation. (i know this is not related to this particular issue but this should be known to re-sellers/buyers who are buying from distributors like us, as most of them go 'NUTS' as soon as we tell them that the board is warranty voided)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: RB711 Problem Continued

Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:02 am

so your devices are damaged by high voltage? use grounding and you will not have such problems

mankomal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:25 am

so your devices are damaged by high voltage? use grounding and you will not have such problems
No Normis our boards were not damaged by high voltage,
we use 12v adapters on a line conditioner specifically for the reason that in case there is a high voltage the line conditioner trips and power is cut(obviously it is grounded) ... We sometime receive boards that just dont fire up (NO Power) and then there are some which we have to configure for our clients and while we are at it suddenly *poof* no power... Obviously there is some manufacturing defects on these which are termed in RMA as "DAMAGED DUE TO OVER VOLTAGE"

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:47 am

give us specific serial number that you think RMA department identified incorrectly. If there is a mistake in diagnosis, we will check once more. But our testing engineers are very highly skilled, and they don't make such easy mistakes. If they say that device is damaged by overvoltage, it's mostly correct.

karlos
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:09 pm

Obviously there is some manufacturing defects on these which are termed in RMA as "DAMAGED DUE TO OVER VOLTAGE"
Fine, why do you think your board is totaly death ? It isnt. It just consumes more current that your suply can give, and this is why suply think you have shorted output and it will shut itself off.

Ok, just look at the board, and locate smd capacitors. Use laboratory power suply. Set current to max 1A, voltage to 24V. If the board is ok it needs cca 0,11-0,16A curent. If it has an problem it will hit on max current set on suply. Let it for some seconds, and try to locate the "hot capacitor" it will be one from the row on left side. Turn your board off. Use an solder to remove it from board, and try your luck again.

We found that most of "Damaged due to overvoltage" boards are not damaged by overvoltage, but the just has shorted low quality smd capacitor. I think this must not be an problem of development, but it may be problem of manufacturer and seller.

I will not atack Mikrotik in any way, but i am very sad about the quality of products in last time (may be wrong manufacturer), and also very sad about the way how Mikrotik solves "problem" with too much RMA. It is very easy to incriminate customer for some reason. You can better take more attention by developing units, and by selecting manufacture for your products.

Please do not get me wrong for my view.

mahnet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:11 am

Even I believe that quality shld not be compromised for price. and as u say "low quality capacitors" ...why so...
I am using best quality stabilisers, UPS's but still some boards go poof. and all r the 5Ghz groove and SXT, 711. The ethernet goes bad. I can say it may not be due to the plastic ethernet port but something else.
and yes we have our base tower grounded.