Community discussions

MikroTik App

chadd
Topic Author

Gigabit port compatibility?

Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:12 am

Anyone know of a gigabit switch that will work with RB gigabit ports? I am tired of fighting the RB Gbit ports and dropped packets. I have had to resort to putting in cheap linksys consumer 5 port 10/100 switches inbetween my RB450G's and my gigabit switches.

I only have this issue with the RB gigabit ports, the standard 10/100 ports do fine.

TrollMan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Gigabit port compatibility?

Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:51 am

I have rb800 connected to a netgear gs724tv3 and has not dropped one single packet in 3 months. Before that it was connected to a gs110tp with same result. I stay away from Cisco since I've seen this problem with Cisco to other hw

kirshteins
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Gigabit port compatibility?

Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:11 pm

RB450G has been successfully used in many production networks and we haven't observed any packet drops or other problems. Please describe what switches are you connecting to RB450G. How is the auto-negotiation, speed and duplex mode configured on both ends? Perhaps there is some specific traffic causing this problem. Make sure you are using latest RouterOS version.

timberwolf
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:50 pm

I have used Gigabit links between a RB450G and Cisco2960, 3com/HP 1910, HP1810 etc. without any troubles.
What gigabit switch did you use which caused trouble, you don't state this...

chadd
Topic Author

Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:59 pm

One that is giving me the most issues right now is connected to a trendnet 24 port smart switch with gigabit ports. But I also have issues even when connecting two RB450G's together. I have to set the ports to autoneg otherwise the 450G's won't connect at all, if I try to set to say 100/full they refuse to connect.

I have an RB1100AHx2 that should be here today that I am going to replace one of the 450G's I am having issues with so hopefully that will take care of the problem at that particular location.

onnoossendrijver

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:15 pm

I have to set the ports to autoneg otherwise the 450G's won't connect at all, if I try to set to say 100/full they refuse to connect.
You should use a cross-cable when doing that. Disabling autonegotiation disables auto-mdi on most equipment.

chadd
Topic Author

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:17 pm

I have to set the ports to autoneg otherwise the 450G's won't connect at all, if I try to set to say 100/full they refuse to connect.
You should use a cross-cable when doing that. Disabling autonegotiation disables auto-mdi on most equipment.

Thanks for the tip.

I have never had to use a crossover cable on any other device in the past when I disabled Auto Neg including 10/100 RB ethernet ports. Is this something specific to the Gbit ports?

onnoossendrijver

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:22 pm

I have never had to use a crossover cable on any other device in the past when I disabled Auto Neg including 10/100 RB ethernet ports. Is this something specific to the Gbit ports?
It is not gigabit specific. I don't know about the RB450G specifically, but most Cisco and other switches do disable auto-mdi.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:12 am

just to note that on 100Mbps links negotiated only speed settings while for Gbit link - there are a lot of other parameters tied in. And all of that is turned off if auto-negotiation is turned off. It is more surprising if you get Gbit working without auto-neg. And starting from RB500 series all RouterBOARD devices have auto-MDI so you can connect router with straight cable.

That is all current RouterBOARDS have this feature. You can specifically look up at routerboard.com

just few examples - all RB400 series, RB700 series, RB800 have Auto-MDI feature.

Also, you have to have this feature active on one end for it to work.

MyThoughts
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:06 pm

I too have had terrible ethernet compatibility issues with the RB493G. Linksys PAP2T dual line VOIP phone adapters for example auto-negotiage 10 Mbps FDX, I have an old laptop that will only work at 10 Mbps HDX and requires autonegociate off or else it doesn't even register a link. I had to put a switch inbetween my work bench and the RB493G because I got tired of always having issues when trying new equipment.

If I put my old RB493AH back in and everything auto-negociates just fine at 100 Mbps, I've not really had any issues RB to RB, or RB to switch. I've given up on expecting a fix for it, I've emailed support and didn't get anywhere with it.

I haven't purchased anymore since my inital batch of 6 because of these issues. I was going to replace all my RB493AH to get gigabit but the added unknowns of ethernet compatibility headaches made me decide to wait.

biomesh
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:19 pm

I too have had terrible ethernet compatibility issues with the RB493G. Linksys PAP2T dual line VOIP phone adapters for example auto-negotiage 10 Mbps FDX, I have an old laptop that will only work at 10 Mbps HDX and requires autonegociate off or else it doesn't even register a link. I had to put a switch inbetween my work bench and the RB493G because I got tired of always having issues when trying new equipment.

If I put my old RB493AH back in and everything auto-negociates just fine at 100 Mbps, I've not really had any issues RB to RB, or RB to switch. I've given up on expecting a fix for it, I've emailed support and didn't get anywhere with it.

I haven't purchased anymore since my inital batch of 6 because of these issues. I was going to replace all my RB493AH to get gigabit but the added unknowns of ethernet compatibility headaches made me decide to wait.
Just FYI the PAP2/PAP2T devices are only 10Base-T devices so 10-Full is normal.

MyThoughts
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:25 pm

Just FYI the PAP2/PAP2T devices are only 10Base-T devices so 10-Full is normal.
Funny I never thought to actually check this on the unit. You are in fact correct, turns out the switch I put in only indicates 100/1000 the LED indicator for 10 is the same as 100, I never realized that was the case and just thought it was linking at 100, and I didn't pay close enough attention to my old RB493AH that did indicate 10 Mbps on the PAP2T as well.
Well at least I know the PAP2T is working as intended, the other problems I had were typically occuring when "cheap" controllers were present ie. SiS ones.

So I revise my statement, I have now only had minor compatibility issues with ethernet ports on the RB493G, and again never from RB to RB or RB to switch.

Thanks for catching that.

Cheers

acim

Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:09 am

Some years ago we had problems of port (connected to Mikrotik) disconnection on some Cisco smart router with VoIP and when we turned off some "smart" option on that port, everything worked. Cisco expected some known device (another Cisco probably) and it would dosconnect port after some time with explanation it is unknown device. I am not sure about your case, this is just a tip.