Community discussions

MikroTik App

wpeople
Topic Author

RIC antenna cover

Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:26 pm

Hello Mikrotik and Forum Users!

I have a lot of RIC units - and many of them getting to old - that means the plastik on the front is going to broke.
I'm interested if Mikrotik (or any other) did manufactured a replacement cover for that unit.
I think, many other customer would use this unit replacing the original RB133 or RB112 unit inside with a 711 - it will still work well as an integrated antenna - if you don't need MIMO.

Thanks!

ps: i hope mikrotik still has master sample for the plastik!

wpeople
Topic Author

Re: RIC antenna cover

Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:19 pm

no other have problem of UV destroyed front plastic?

maurymw1
just joined

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:01 pm

RIC antenna cover is good but If it's too old you should change it.

wpeople
Topic Author

Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:55 pm

change it to what? completely the whole device (without the routerboard) ?
since only the front plastic is only part what's suffer from UV, i would leave the rest and replace the front panel if possible...

priit
just joined

Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:21 am

Yes indeed - the spare cover would be very welcome!

Suggestion to use SEXTANT instead is not serious - there is substantial difference in antenna gain.

Anybody to produce the cover?

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:11 pm

The RIC antennas are still the best antennas ever left the MT warehouses...
I still have several of these in service and wherever possible I replace the old 122, 133 boards for the new 711 boards. The gain is outperforming many similar units on the marked (the SXT is not even coming close!) and the metal back gives a sturdy antenna that also has a high front to back noise ratio and thus eliminating unwanted interferences.
In the days of the early NV2 ROS version (with their disconnect issues) the RIC's proved to be much more reliable and stable than any other units in plastic only covers for reasonable prices ....

I had some 50 of these units but only 2 or 3 lost their cover. Some other covers became so bridle the sightliest touch broke them.. But most that are still up in a mast are still fine after all these years.

If these RIC's where available again for competitive prices I would buy them again...
Now I am stuck with Groove's and 3rd party antenna's or rb711's with 3rd party housing-antenna.
The SXT are not an option for me anymore because there are many other cheaper and better (higher gain and/or better shielding and better design) units available. What a pity MT is not able to produce a competitive CPE any more..... :(

Ubiquity is doing a much better job in these but I don't like their OS and their AP solutions are crap....

wpeople
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:30 pm

WirelessRudy: totally agree.

I would not use SXT/Sextant for backbone links, rather 411AH (or 433AH) with High Performance directional antennas (even on short distance).
Or Groove with better antennas. If SXT would have some properly measured and fitted shielding...

If Mikrotik still have the masterplates for RIC cover/backplate - it would be nice to offer it with
1x1 - 23dB
2x2 ~20dB
flat-patch antennas inside connected to 711 board.