MikroTik App

nuclearcat
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

RB SXT losing configuration on each reboot

Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:06 pm

Hello

I'm trying to push mikrotik for new company, and installed 4 links so far , one is RB boards, and 3 is RB SXT.
On one location two Mikrotik device suddenly lost configuration (not at same time), it is relay location, and if one i just reinserted config, and it is working fine, on another even i put config, as soon as i reboot device, it is showing script to make automatic setup, and there is even no traces of old config. Version was 5.14, i upgrade to 5.18 both.
Checked temperature and voltage, it is normal (even i did stress test with bandwidth test), no bad blocks.
Tried to change frequency of CPU, clicked there several checkboxes (backup bootloader). What can be the reason of such strange behavior ?
I am not sure how config on mikrotik stored, but maybe if it is separate mtd partition on nand, it is broken or not mounted on boot? But can it be shown as error and is it possible to reformat it?

Also, opened Ticket#2012070266000409

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RB SXT losing configuration on each reboot

Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:27 am

Hello

I'm trying to push mikrotik for new company, and installed 4 links so far , one is RB boards, and 3 is RB SXT.
On one location two Mikrotik device suddenly lost configuration (not at same time), it is relay location, and if one i just reinserted config, and it is working fine, on another even i put config, as soon as i reboot device, it is showing script to make automatic setup, and there is even no traces of old config. Version was 5.14, i upgrade to 5.18 both.
Checked temperature and voltage, it is normal (even i did stress test with bandwidth test), no bad blocks.
Tried to change frequency of CPU, clicked there several checkboxes (backup bootloader). What can be the reason of such strange behavior ?
I am not sure how config on mikrotik stored, but maybe if it is separate mtd partition on nand, it is broken or not mounted on boot? But can it be shown as error and is it possible to reformat it?

Also, opened Ticket#2012070266000409
There is no reason a routerboard should ever lose configuration. Definately sounds like a defective unit.

jhheider

RB SXT losing configuration on each reboot

Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:28 am

Saw this too. Water got in, corroded the reset contacts, so it would default on every boot. Only a month deployed and no rain. Unfortunate, but protecting the contacts should help. We used butyl.

nuclearcat
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:59 am

Updated information, since team came to office, two units went insane at this location. One unit worked after configuration reinserted, and another one losing configuration continuously. I really hope Mikrotik team can take a look to supout, and if they can see GPIO status, is reset is short or open.
Water at this place is uncommon, it is Saudi Arabia and dry season now, rain occur here only once-twice per year, but it can be a bit humid at evening, sea is not very far (few km).
Also strange, but there is option to disable reset button in config, i tried it. IMHO, as an option, maybe it is possible to convert (press reset button to ... ), to keep pressing on/off reset button to do config reset , so it will let customer work, till he replace unit.
If it is ok on this forum, a bit offtopic, can somebody recommend IP67, IP68 enclosures with integrated antenna, (better assembled with RB inside)?
I know there is list of vendors on website, but i want some people that has experience with supplier :)

nuclearcat
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:26 am

For me also there is two choices, if it is reset button issue.

If corrosion is so fast, i guess i will have to replace SXT at least on this location very soon, because it will corrode also all board. I will need IP67/IP68 with pressure compensation, and i never seen such enclosure for Mikrotik (mostly i am using such wireless now, but it is FreeBSD based and unreasonably very expensive).

It is also interesting question, because on my experience, i was working on some outdoor equipment development, we had very high BOM due single reset switch. It is really difficult to find industrial grade, that will handle low/high temperatures.
So probably if it is just reset button issue, i will just unsolder it (losing the warranty, but who cares).

[admin@MikroTik] > /system routerboard settings set enable-jumper-reset=no
This doesn't work, is there any way to make this option work?

ddd
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:04 am

We have some installed near the ocean, probably around less 1km away.
6 have failed with similar issues (some have been installed for less than a month). The boards will not boot and need a netinstall, however within a week or two they screw up again.

On inspection of the devices I can see corrosion near the reset button and near the chip just to the right of it

I suspect that salt air is making its way through the door (no water ever gets in) and is getting blown right onto the PCB.
Last edited by ddd on Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

nuclearcat
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:43 pm

ddd thank you for sharing info!
Btw Mikrotik even not answered to my ticket, 4 days passed. Not impressed at all.

ddd
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:17 am

We are going to try spraying corrosion inhibitor stuff on the PCBs and see if that stops them from rusting up. (http://www.lanotec.com.au/pages/products/liquidlanolin)
I hope this fixes the issue, I really want to keep using them.

We have other Mikrotik boards installed in the same location for years without issue.
I'm only assuming but think the issue is causing by the SXTs door and breathing holes being located too close the the PCB, the air just blows right on to it.

Maybe if the size of the SXT enclosure was increased or the door and breathing holes relocated it would help stop the rust?

nuclearcat
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:08 am

Very good idea indeed, but maybe try to avoid putting inhibitor on parts with RF signal, i am not sure it will not make leakage. RF signal very different from DC.

I start reading forums, how people who work on PCB development protecting their products, and as i heard silicone based coating is much better for RF, for example 3140 RTV COATING.
Maybe Mikrotik people can recommend anything? Outdoor design should have such coating at the beginning, but if doesn't have, at least we need recommendations, what we can do by ourself, to improve situation.

beamer

Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:29 am

Are there any updates regarding a good material to cover the SXT PCB board against harsh (salty!) environments?

Liquid Lanolin - I can't find a concrete product sold in Germany (except as breast nipple cream :lol: )
RTV3140 - is sold and seems appropriate, but VERY expensive (90 ml for 40-50 Euro :shock: )
Butyl - also can't find a concrete brand/product

Nighthawke
just joined

Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:00 pm

We use weather boxes to house our equipment and seal around the joints using rubber gaskets and silicon joint sealer used on homes. I did research the wiki and came up with some techniques and maybe some options to coat your boards with.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conformal_coating

I would also suggest placing silica gel packs in each box to pull any excess moisture out of the air, slowing corrosion. I would suggest using dielectric gel on the network contacts to minimize degradation of the contacts.

ddd
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:05 am

Its been 3 months since spraying them with Lanolin and we haven't lost any - Hopefully it has solved the issue.

Would be good if conformal coating was applied at the factory...

gmeden
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:15 am

A little di-electric grease perhaps?

Lakis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:19 pm

nuclearcat did u solve ur problem?
I got one on reboot is losing config its like the unit is reseting on default
but its so strange on every reboot at the beginning I m hiring this tringalling sound like its boot up for first time than it comes Beep sound

atari
just joined

Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:18 pm

I have same problem whit one sxt, it will not load configuration after reboot it reset it. I will try to open & see if it is hardware problem. Sxt is online ~6mounts

atari
just joined

Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:25 pm

I menage to repair it, still testing

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:26 am

I menage to repair it, still testing
could you please tell me how did you manage to repair it?

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:43 pm

as this topic is still hot and in discussion we have Ver 6.19 released today. :-)

who will try first?

kikeco
just joined

Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:39 am

I had 5 SXT with this problem. Not all of them showed corrosion in the config reset button, but some time ago I tried fixing them by cleaning the config reset button but it didn't work. So today I sanded the button with a mototool to the bare copper and greased it to prevent further corrosion and now all 5 SXT are working fine.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:14 pm

Reset button needs to be released at a specific time to make the reset. Are you sure you mean the button, not the reset jumper hole, that we had on older products?

kikeco
just joined

Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:04 pm

Reset button needs to be released at a specific time to make the reset. Are you sure you mean the button, not the reset jumper hole, that we had on older products?
sorry, I mean the jumper hole labeled as "config reset", I have never tampered with the reset button

madmax
just joined

Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:23 pm

Solved!!!

I have 3 units SXT with the same problem, after reboot the unit lost the configuration , the solution is for my units desoldering the reset button.

lildanny
just joined

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:45 am

I had this issue with two RBSXTR units.

They would reset all settings every time they were rebooted. Firmware update would fail during reboot. Firmware 6.47. Brand new. Circuit boards look perfect.

After much investigation I used Netinstall and followed all the instructions in the manual and the pages it links to. Put the device into etherboot mode by holding down the reset button on the device. Device popped up in Netinstall. Tried installing 6.48.2. It failed. Tried installing 6.47.9. It worked. Finally when rebooted the device had the new firmware. Now when I change the device settings, they stay the same after the device is rebooted. Nice.

Both units I tested were ordered together and had the exact same problem.

I spoke with a distributor who suggested the device's memory was corrupt and needed to be reset using Netinstall. Seems like he was right. It's kind of cool Mikrotik makes a tool to work with malfunctioning devices. It's practical. I appreciate the many different paths and methods their platform provides to accomplish objectives. It just takes time to figure out how the f they all work. Cheers people