Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

dmsnell
just joined
Topic Author

Serial Remote Access issue

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:50 pm

I've read through the walkthrough on using the serial port but I am still having trouble communicating. The device communicates via DNP3 protocol over RS232 and works fine when connected to other serial ports. Here's the setup...

[Device] -> [serial0 -> RB450G -> remote access -> rfc2217] -> network -> [Virtual Serial Port Emulator -> TcpClient -> Connector] -> COM5 -> Software

The funny thing is, I get about four seconds of good communications after I cycle power. After that, no more successful communication.

Could there be anything different about the serial port on a RouterBoard (I've also tried and had the same results on an RB433AH) than the standard? Any suggestions for debugging?

Thanks!

jeremyh
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Serial Remote Access issue

Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:02 pm

I've read through the walkthrough on using the serial port but I am still having trouble communicating.
Did you definitely disable serial console? Not delete/remove, but disable?
/system console disable 0
Try changing ports and try using 'raw' protocol rather than 'rfc2217' (VSPE doesn't seem to mind). I have no idea what could be causing the issue but those seem like easy things to try..

After you lose serial communication, does RouterOS still report the remote access port as being 'in use'?

And finally, have you tested the device with a local PC to make sure it's not a malfunction?