MUM Europe 2020

complete2006
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

RB750 - Switched ports issue

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:50 am

Hi all,

if we put eth2 to eth5 into switched mode only eth2 will show something in traffic counters. All other ports are with zero counters. Is this a bug?

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RB750 - Switched ports issue

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:59 am

no it is not a bug - by setting master-port you are effectively rendering that port into a dummy port. Even IP addresses will not work on enslaved port. All configuration and all data is now part of ether2
With great knowledge comes great responsibility, because of ability to recognize id... incompetent people much faster.

complete2006
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:55 am

Even a switched port should have some counter statistics....

complete2006
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:36 pm

Really good work :?

The only thing that has POE out ist RB750UP. Now your are telling me that there no feature to see traffic running over the switch?

I wonder who is making the design decissions at mikrotik. Who should use the product? The private customer? I can put the 30 RB750 into the waste bin. It is useless for the thing I want to do.

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:08 am

I think this is what you are looking for.

/interface ethernet switch port print stats
/interface ethernet switch print stats
With great knowledge comes great responsibility, because of ability to recognize id... incompetent people much faster.

CoxWireless
just joined

Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:09 am

Really good work :?

The only thing that has POE out ist RB750UP. Now your are telling me that there no feature to see traffic running over the switch?

I wonder who is making the design decissions at mikrotik. Who should use the product? The private customer? I can put the 30 RB750 into the waste bin. It is useless for the thing I want to do.
I agree, my first experience with Miktotik was the RB750UP. What a total TURN-OFF!

1. the hardware didn't support what I wanted to do for PoE, I had to modify it to work (problem fixed)
2. I find out that it doesn't fully support vlan tagging, trunking, stripping because of the chipset they used. SHOWSTOPPER
3. I find out that I cant get it to provide ethernet stats on the ports.
4. I find out that I can't rate limit the ports, neither by changing the bandwidth nor by creating a queue.

Wow, really disappointed here!

kirshteins
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:36 pm

1. What exactly was not working as expected? There are many improvements for the PoE-out in firmware that comes together with RouterOS v5.20 . Its recommended to upgrade. http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:PoE-Out
2. VLAN tagging, trunking, stripping is supported by RouterOS bridging together with VLAN interfaces. http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/VLAN http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Bridge
3. Statistics are available:
/interface ethernet switch port print stats
/interface ethernet switch print stats
4. Only the transmit limitation is supported by the switch chip. You can set it with the following command:
[admin@MikroTik] >/interface ethernet set ether2 bandwidth=unlimited/
10M  128k  1M  256k  2M  4M  512k  5M  64k  8M  unlimited
For more advanced bandwidth shaping you can limit the bandwidth using RouterOS simple queues or queue tree.
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Queue

750 and 750UP are not designed as switches, but as routers. The switch chip is not even a separate chip, it is integrated in the CPU. The main purpose of this switch features are for wire-speed network tapping. You can also use these routers as basic network switches. If you need advanced features you can use RouterOS bridging and routing.

complete2006
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:04 pm

That is exactly what I did after removing the switch config. Bridging. I see no performance issue compared to the switch.

Upgrade of POE-firmware was already done.