Community discussions

asterisco
Topic Author

Advise on x86 hardware for bgp

Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:24 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for a x86 (64 bit) for an specific BGP task. I would appreciate any help on hardware that can be found on Europe. The device will perform exclusively BGP routing between the internet provider (must connect thru a 1 Gbit ethernet optical; SFP monomode required) and the two AS are routed to 2 Gigabit ethernet electrical. So I require 3 gigabit network connections: one optical and two electrical.

Also the space is critical as this equipment goes to a housing datacenter: 1U rack space

Any assistant on finding correct housing, motherboard+cpu, ethernet nics, specially the sfp one would be greatly apreciated.

Thank you,
Antonio

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Advise on x86 hardware for bgp

Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:30 am

somethig from supermicro is widly used. My self, was just setting up a dell machine.

Or wait for the cloud core. :D

(Btw, why X86 to BGP?), a 1100AH2 would do more than good. :) (better spec, to simple BGP, than my juniper j6350)

asterisco
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:11 pm

somethig from supermicro is widly used. My self, was just setting up a dell machine.

Or wait for the cloud core. :D

(Btw, why X86 to BGP?), a 1100AH2 would do more than good. :) (better spec, to simple BGP, than my juniper j6350)

Hi,
thank you!! I'll investigate supermicro; looks good.

The problem with 1100AH2 (I have two running in my premises) is no SFP .. Regarding the throughput; I know AH2 has enough power.

Regards
Antonio

wulfgard
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:32 pm

The problem with 1100AH2 (I have two running in my premises) is no SFP .. Regarding the throughput; I know AH2 has enough power.

Regards
Antonio
you can use a switch like Cisco 2960G for SFP and setup VLAN to the AHx2 and the provider so no need of SFP on the routers
for space in rack put both AHx2 on front and switch on rear

A+
Thierry
System and Network Engineer
Mikrotik Trainer - MTCNA MTCRE
Official French Mikrotik Distributor

Quindor

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:27 pm

Or get the new Cloud Core Router, it has 4 SFP slots and more then enough performance.

Costly though, but so would an x86 be probably.
http://www.campzone.nl World's Largest Outdoor LANParty, http://intermit.tech Intermittend Technology blog, My blog about the ESP8266, IP Camera's and other tech related subjects!

regardtv
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:56 pm

Just remember that the route cache bug is currently still present in Mikrotik's routing bits - this can potentially come to bite you. Typically this occurs if you see some bgp sessions/links flap and you get a stack of announce/withdraws hitting the router - routes then get 'stuck' and even if they are withdrawn from BGP your router may continue to announce them.

This happens with both Routerboard and x86 hardware and is known - so just watch out for that.

In terms of hardware - the Supermicro stuff is great - but just be careful of the disk controller in there - not all work with the Mikrotik hardware ( haven't testing with the v6 - but had a couple of issues with v4/v5).

Kreacher

Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:59 pm

Any assistant on finding correct housing, motherboard+cpu, ethernet nics, specially the sfp one would be greatly apreciated.
@asterisco
Any news on this? Did you find a appliance that matches your criteria?
Kindly regards
Kreacher ♬

--------------------------------------
Karma points must not be paid by you

djdrastic

Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:29 am

I know this is a total necro , but we mostly use Dell R320's for the job via ESXI and has done the job very well though I wish you could get a native accelerated network card supported with the Mikrotik instead of using the E1000 or flexible adapter.Dual PSU , Dual Flash Card, 2XPCIE Risers,Out of Band management via IMPI .The 310 controller supplied is a bit slow though , so if you have the cash shell out for a 710 if you can if you want to use hard disk drives.