Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

sick of rb711-series boards...

Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:32 am

Failure of these boards is raising above 10% now. rb711-5HnD pr 5Hn and SXT.
From the 60 or so I purchased at least 10 boards failed soon after initiation or even out of the protective plastic!
Have send some back for RMA to dealer and some are replaced and some are repaired.
Had one board that lost all Ethernet access, send it back, according tech dept reinstalled with netboot (which was not possible in my case).
I received board, put it in box, connected, booted fine, entered script for config, booted board and after that Ethernet again not working. Reset button (screwdriver!) not able to reset unit.... no netboot. Send it back again, board is replaced by dealer....

Today yet again, board fit, installed script, booted, tried to login, password not recognized..., looked in the script, usual password. Tried several time, no luck. Tried default password (and admin and all combies), no luck.
Tried to reset board, board is not resetting...
Tried to netinstall, no luck...

RMA again.....

Who the f*&k is going to pay for the shipping costs?
How reliable are these boards?

Something weird with these boards anyway. I can only boot them first time if only PoE is connected but no connection to any Ethernet device.
After trirrrp sound I can connect to switch, laptop or whatsoever to config board. Only after that first initial boot, even without any further changes, I can boot the board while connected to device.... Ghosts?

rb4xx series or groove don't have that issue and from the 100+ rb133C3's I've had I can't recall same sort of problem in the past...
Show your appreciation of this post by giving me Karma! Thanks.

Rudy R. Puister

WISP operator based on MT routerboard & ROS.

rjickity
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: sick of rb711-series boards...

Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:42 am

Have you gone over the script ? Sounds like that's the step in your process that is failing...

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:26 am

Have you gone over the script ? Sounds like that's the step in your process that is failing...
Do you really think? I used this script probably 1000 times without problems, and now after this failing board, I took another, new, similar board and put the script on (no changes made!) and it works like a charm....

There is nothing wrong with the script. The failing board won't even reset anymore and netboot is also not working.... it's a hardware issue...

Rudy R. Puister

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:07 am

Just a question - are you aware that dual chain devices must have both antennas connected when you turn them on?
Ethernet again not working.
Is power on, are any LEDs on? MAC address is not working? You say you tried the reset jumper, but did you try the reset button? Hold it for some 30 seconds to run Netinstall mode (button must be pushed before power on)
No answer to your question? How to write posts

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:56 pm

Yes, on these high power boards I make sure some antennas are connected. I have specially for this a set of small omnis with mmc connector. (or mini ufl if I do the other boards) and off course when they are in a box fitted, they are connected to their antenna they need to serve.

What happens in general is this:

On previously configured and now failing board:
- The led all lit up steady, than after a while one of the led goes off,. First initial beep takes place. After that nothing happens, all but one LED's stay on steady. But curiously enough, the mack address and ip (0.0.0.0 because port is dhcp-cl, or 192.168.50.1, my usual LAN Ip) come up in the winbox loader discovery window but when clicking on it to load the 'time out' error message appears... Tried both the mac and the ip, same result.

This happened after I had the board loaded with my initial script and rebooted it twice. It came up fine. But then from the third boot onwards the issue played up.
Pressing the screwdriver in/on the reset whole is not making the board to reset. (I have done this before so know when a board resets or not).
Also, pressing the reset button doesn't make the board loading the netloader set IP.
According the winbox loader discovery tool window the board keeps its manually set Ip, so it is not been reset.

I've had some boards that had same issue but waited for 15 mins or so and then it booted up normally. The moment the unit than was given an IP by me or by the setting of a dhcp-cl on the port, the issue disappeared....

On the boards that don't boot initially when connected to device:
- Power on beep, and the leds lit. Nothing more happens.
- after disconnecting switch/laptop, the unit makes a tjirrrrrp sound, led go off and flash and board boots normally into running mode.
I tested this last night. As long as the default script or my script is not loaded, every time when the thus virgin state board is powered up it won't start as long as a Ethernet device is connected.
As soon as my script, or the default MT script, is loaded, the board starts up with Ethernet devices attached. Like it should...

In common, there is a whole range of strange behaviors on these boards. But behaviors are not all the same on the boards...

Don't mistake me, I like the boards for their price and when they work the are good. But every time I buy a batch of 10 there is always one that fails and sometimes they fail while being deployed.

Rudy R. Puister

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:08 pm

just out of curiosity, could you send this script to support and describe how you load it?

like, manually upload script, use flashfig or some other means?

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:20 pm

When the unit opens in winbox, I select the text of the script from the notepad file and drag it into the window of the open board. In that window I have the terminal window opened adn I past the text at the prompt (at the root).
The script than loads.

Usually, while configuring a new board, I first load it the similar way with the latest versions (v5.21) of the packages I use in general for CPE units. (system, wireless, routerboard, dhcp, ppp). I reboot the unit so it starts up again with the new version software.

After that I load the script as explained, and as you can see, the script ends with the firmware upgrade and reboot sequence so after this the firmware is also updated.

With some minor changes I use this script this way for over 2 years now and have done some 300 boards or more this way....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rudy R. Puister

Łukasz
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:06 am

Just a question - are you aware that dual chain devices must have both antennas connected when you turn them on?
Even if chain0 and chain1 is disabled?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:21 am

no, but by default (out of the box) they are enabled, and to disable them, you would have to turn the device on.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:22 pm

no, but by default (out of the box) they are enabled, and to disable them, you would have to turn the device on.
What has all this 'enabling/disabling of the antenna connectors' talk to do with my initial post?

Normis; did you find anything strange in my script?

Over the weekend just had an SXT stop having Ethernet access. Wireless also stopped. I can't check if the wireless has been altered or what, because I need access to the board to see what happened. But I cannot. Unit has been in production environment for some months without issues, think it is running 5,17 or so (can't see!). According client his connection died in the middle of some internet usage.

I found the Ethernet port died. Cannot reset the unit and netboot also not working (make sense, the only available interface is not usable). Yet another rb7xx series board I'll have to send back in for RMA..... :(

All I can say is that the unit is connected by normal unshielded cable and not earthed. But its hanging on a wall under a roof part. It rained when the unit stopped but so far I can't see signs of damaging water ingress. (I have seen boards in the past that stopped working due shortcut due water ingress but they just came back up online the moment the connectors or wet parts dried...)

Earthing of the radios are not an option. Houses are poorly earth connected and in the long dry hot summer months earth is hardly existing at al in the dry soils...
Actually I tried earthing on several units but in general this is giving more issues than it solves....

Rudy R. Puister

binxwalker
just joined

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:52 pm

Have you had any issues with really bad performance on one of the chains? I am having an issue where the Tx signal strength is completely out of wack on chain 1: -110/-66 compared to Chain 0 at -66/-63?

ddd
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:23 pm

Regarding dead Ethernet ports;

If your cables are running next to power cables it could explain the issues you are having.

It could also be caused by dodgy power in your area causing surges and killing the ethernet port. Try running it though a UPS or a surge protector.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:47 am

Regarding dead Ethernet ports;

If your cables are running next to power cables it could explain the issues you are having.

It could also be caused by dodgy power in your area causing surges and killing the ethernet port. Try running it though a UPS or a surge protector.
No, not next along power cables. Occasionally wires might cross or run close to them for a small distance (< 0,5mtrs) but usually not.

Dodgy power, yes. Not a rare event. But actually the use of adapters bringing the voltage down from 230V to 18 or 24 is also guarding against power holes and spikes. When we have short lived power cuts usually the adapter goes.....
Putting a UPS at each customers equipments would put me out of business.... € 100,- extra per customer each one or two years? (Because these ups also fail after too many power issues. I have some 15 examples of that.....)

My theory is more that the used components in the cheap boards are just much more vulnerable and give much easier issues than before. I have still rb112's running and am replacing 200 rb133C3's because they can't work well with the new ROS and higher traffic etc., but of these I hardly ever had issues of failing Ethernet boards.
The Grooves also give me little issues in that respect. Our of 60 grooves I had only one loosing its port, but out of some 100 rb7xx series boards (that includes SXT's) I have some 10-15 that gave me issues.
Some boards worked out of the 'new' plastic on my desk 2 reboot cycles to loose Ethernet connectivity for ever.......

I happen to notice that of these 100 or so rb711 series the outlay and content of the add-on circuits are changing regularly. I think I have at least 3 or 4 different print boards all carrying the same model number....
Probably the boards are produced against market prices of their parts and end control is weak or sluggish and 'durability tests' is something that is left behind....

Rudy R. Puister

mars
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:55 am

why would they be enabled by default?

that means you cant upgrade the rb or set it up without connecting antennas to chain 0 and 1
we don't use 711 rbs anymore they just have to many problems and a cheap disign

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:27 am

that means you cant upgrade the rb or set it up without connecting antennas to chain 0 and 1
and why wouldn't they be? most people take them out of their bags, attach antennas, and the device is usable once turned on. why would you have to connect to each and configure them? they are wireless devices, it makes sense that wireless is enabled without needing to configure anything

Belyivulk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:48 am

Interestingly, i had a very similar fault with an entire batch of the new high power SXT's (10 or so). I returned those to the supplier, and the next batch were totally fine.

Referring here to first boot being okay, after that dead as a dodo until a factory reset using the button. Rinse and repeat.

I've also found the 711G's to be very very very unreliable (so much so i don't buy them).

And just to flog a dead horse, the plastic connectors on the boards are very flimsy :/

mars
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:52 pm

and why wouldn't they be? most people take them out of their bags, attach antennas, and the device is usable once turned on. why would you have to connect to each and configure them? they are wireless devices, it makes sense that wireless is enabled without needing to configure anything

no we want to setup the rb in the office then take it to the site and connect it to the antennas
most of the time it comes with an older ros so we want to do a netinstall
in real life the rb must be setup before using there is not time to screw around when installing it

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:06 am

Interestingly, i had a very similar fault with an entire batch of the new high power SXT's (10 or so). I returned those to the supplier, and the next batch were totally fine.

Referring here to first boot being okay, after that dead as a dodo until a factory reset using the button. Rinse and repeat.

I've also found the 711G's to be very very very unreliable (so much so i don't buy them).

And just to flog a dead horse, the plastic connectors on the boards are very flimsy :/
They don't have plastic connectors anymore. But since you don't use them, you wouldn't have been able to notice.

Inssomniak

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:39 am

Just to add.

I ordered 10 RB711-2hn boards in September, but never used them until now, sat packaged up in the box.

3 out of 10 in this batch bad RF TX out of the box.

2 out of 10 last batch bad TX after month in field.

So 5 out of 20 bad.

Followed instructions and did not power up board until antenna was connected.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:51 pm

J

did you use grounding of some kind? and shielded cable? any type of equipment that is located outside, is sensitive to ESD and lightning. You should always follow this guide: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Grounding

Inssomniak

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:53 pm

J

did you use grounding of some kind? and shielded cable? any type of equipment that is located outside, is sensitive to ESD and lightning. You should always follow this guide: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Grounding
Case is grounded, I have 200 router boards, Im not new to them, its just the 711's we have had no luck with, 3 bad before I even installed them?

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:47 pm

J

Normis, that's too easy..
I have done over the years some 100 rb133C3's, some 80Grooves, some 70 Nanostations, and now also some 80 rb711-5Hn or rb711-5-HnD's and another 60 or SXT's.
None of these boards/CPE's are grounded (because if there is not ground, where to ground?) and all have unshielded cables.
Its the rb711 series (including the SXT's) and some rb411's (I only have some 30 or so of these) that at times suddenly stops, usual Ethernet failure, sometimes complete board failure.

I never have/had these issues with the other 'older' boards or with the groove's. It must be a design flaw or use of poor components on these boards.

Rudy R. Puister