Community discussions

MikroTik App

brucevaughn
just joined
Topic Author

Failure of the R5SHpn radio cards

Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:24 am

Issue: Since the end of August/first part of September we have had a continuing series of failures of these radio cards. In some cases we get the installation complete and everything is working well and then in less than 5 days the card fails. In other cases the card boots then heats up and fails and in the third scenario the card fails to boot at all. We had used these radio card to good effect for most of the summer on a series of long links (20 to 25 miles) and most of those cards are still performing well. We are powering them with a 24 volt POE that produces 24 watts and have installed them in both 411s and 433s. We are wondering if this problem is occurring elsewhere and if so what the fix might be.
Our infrastructure is all Mikrotik. The antennas that we have been using with the R5SHpns are the ItElite 21 dBi AIO and 23 dBi AIO and the Laird 24 dBi panel.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: The card can see other radios but cannot attach. In the AP mode it does not see at all so it receives but does not transmit. The LED display on the card has the Rx light at a solid red, nothing on the Tx light and the AP/CPE Enabled light is blinking at approximately 30 second intervals.

MyThoughts
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Failure of the R5SHpn radio cards

Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:20 pm

I am having the exact same problem. We installed the R5SHPn cards throughout the summer and up until October.

The cards are failing in the exact same manor as you described. I have contacted Mikrotik to see if there are any known issues. According to them they are not seeing any major issues. My company has discontinued the use of these cards after we had to replace 5 of them inside of a week.

We tested them on our bench and most of the failed cards have blown transmittors. They receive fine but transmit ~20-25 dB less then they should. Some cards just cause continual reboots of the RB411s when installed in them.

Too many problems, we switched back to Dbii. I am thankful we only purchased 40 of them.

Just incase anyone is curious our equipment config is 80-100 ft of shielded outdoor Cat5e cable, Arc 23 dBi IES enclosures, RB411 (a few were RB411L do to supply issues), all powered using a 24V@1A PoE injector.

mac86
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:05 am

I am having the exact same problem. We installed the R5SHPn cards throughout the summer and up until October.

The cards are failing in the exact same manor as you described. I have contacted Mikrotik to see if there are any known issues. According to them they are not seeing any major issues. My company has discontinued the use of these cards after we had to replace 5 of them inside of a week.

We tested them on our bench and most of the failed cards have blown transmittors. They receive fine but transmit ~20-25 dB less then they should. Some cards just cause continual reboots of the RB411s when installed in them.

Too many problems, we switched back to Dbii. I am thankful we only purchased 40 of them.

Just incase anyone is curious our equipment config is 80-100 ft of shielded outdoor Cat5e cable, Arc 23 dBi IES enclosures, RB411 (a few were RB411L do to supply issues), all powered using a 24V@1A PoE injector.

+1

Sergio72

Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:27 am

Maybe some ventilation is needed ? Come on, there is a big radiator (heat sink), how can it work properly when it can't radiate like in small itelite enclosures ? IMO you need more space like in, let say, WiBOX system, which I use in my installations http://www.wireless-instruments.com/en/ ... -5-23.html.

R5SHpn it's high power unit it radiates a lot of energy in the shape of heat also, that's the reason of the big radiator. If you don't have enough ventilation space, it won't work ! Radiator is not the solution, it only takes heat from electronic, but needs to be cooled somehow.