Community discussions

MikroTik App

mobdoc
just joined
Topic Author

Odd value showing in Resources view on RB951-2n

Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:09 pm

Hi,

I have been having issues with RB951-2n boxes becoming unresponsive and not getting reset by the watchdog timer so have been checking all the settings to see if there is anything amiss and I found a number of boxes that show a REALLY huge number in the Total Sector Writes and it also doesn't look to be formatted correctly:

This issue appears on boxes that have ROS 5.21, 5.23 and 5.24 and is still there when upgrading to a new version. So far it seems to be affecting about 5 out of a total of 40 boxes.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

Steve

mobdoc
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Odd value showing in Resources view on RB951-2n

Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:10 pm

Should have done some research before posting this - Seems like a Netinstall is needed (http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66649) so will try this and hopefully will resolve the issue (and the lockups at the same time :D )

Sorry if I wasted anyones time

Steve

ohara

Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:32 pm

I have just one such device that is affected by this issue. I didn't bother to netinstall it or RMA it, since it has been working fine since the upgrade to 5.21. Only recently did I upgrade it to 5.24 and it still works like a charm. If I had more than one such device, I would do something about it, otherwise I don't care.

You're not wasting anybody's time as long as you find answers yourself an provide them here. Let us know how you get on with netinstall on your 951-2n.

mobdoc
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:30 am

Thanks for your comments - makes me feel a lot better!

I got the first box back last night and ran the Netinstall and the Total Sector Writes is now showing a much more sensible figure :D I'll now do a rolling swap out with the others until they're all done and fingers crossed they all install as easily.

Hopefully this will also resolve the lockup issues I have been getting :( - It's quite a pain to have to go out and simply power off and on again to get them working and I can't understand why the ping watchdog isn't resetting them automatically. Thankfully I use The Dude to monitor the network so I am alerted as soon as they go bandit.

Steve

ohara

Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:25 pm

Hopefully this will also resolve the lockup issues I have been getting :( - It's quite a pain to have to go out and simply power off and on again to get them working and I can't understand why the ping watchdog isn't resetting them automatically. Thankfully I use The Dude to monitor the network so I am alerted as soon as they go bandit.
What exactly do you mean? Are you saying that wifi SSID disappears on your 951-2n from time to time? Or are you referring to another device?

mobdoc
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:03 am

The RB951 will occasionally totally lock-up and won't respond on any interface (wlan, ether or the ovpn client to the monitoring server). Only thing that can be done then is to remove the power, plug it back in and everything is fine again until it locks up again. Odd thing is it is only affecting about 5 of the 40 or so units that I have and I'm trying to find out if they have anything in common that might point to the reason for the failure.

The box I've Netinstalled is one of the culprits so it will be interesting to see if this fixes the issue.

Any ideas you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Dobby

Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:55 am

The RB951 will occasionally totally lock-up and won't respond on any interface.....

The box I've Netinstalled is one of the culprits so it will be interesting to see if this fixes the issue.

Any ideas you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve
Hi Steve would you please so freindly and tell us as what you are using this device, please.
As an wireless AP as it was announced by MikroTik or as a router?

mobdoc
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:37 am

Hi Dobby,

I am using the router as an AP in holiday villas. The network setup has an RB951 in each villa configured as an AP with hotspot and external RADIUS authentication. The ether1-gateway is connected to an SXT-5HPnD on the roof (in bridge mode) linking back to an Omnitk on the roof of the villa that actually has the internet connection. This is in turn connected to an RB751 which does the main routing. I am out and about at the moment so cannot do a network diagram or post configs but could do this later if it would help.

The key points of the network are:
  • Hotspot configured on all RB951 and RB751
  • External RADIUS authentication
  • OVPN connection to central server 1 for DUDE monitoring
  • PPTP connection to central server 2 for RADIUS
  • Watchdog configured to ping management server
  • Between 1 and 7 RB951s connected to each cluster
The issue that I am getting is that some of the RB951s will just hang and the DUDE will show them as down. Even after the Watchdog Ping time has expired they do not reboot and I have to go out to the villa to reboot them by cycling the power. When get to the villa there is no response from the box on either the wireless or wired ports so there is no way of finding out what is happening at the time.

The lookups can happen at any time and even when the villa has been unoccupied for over a week and there is no real traffic load at all. It is driving me nuts currently as I have around 40 951s installed and at least 1 or 2 lock up every week.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Dobby

Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:08 pm

The lookups can happen at any time and even when the villa has been unoccupied for over a week and there is no real traffic load at all.
For sure I am considering to your stand point, I would also running wild, please trust my words.