Community discussions

MikroTik App

hci
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

RouterBoard 951-2n Reliabillity

Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:51 pm

The 951-2n is a nice sized and affordable router for home and small business use. We seem to have a high failure rate with the things. After power cycling the things will just have steady power and activity lights and none of the ports will light up. Anyone else having issues with them?

Dobby

Re: RouterBoard 951-2n Reliabillity

Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:33 am

Deleted because not related.
Last edited by Dobby on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

biomesh
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:08 am

I don't think that this device was designed to only be an AP only. It is being sold as a small office or home router and AP. The specs on this device are sufficient for most small buildings with limited wireless device access and moderate internet speeds.

I have had one of these providing 16/3 internet with DNS, dhcp, sstp client, wireless, etc for months with no issues.

I would not use this device for thousands of routes or dozens of vpn connections as this device was not really designed for this purpose.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:43 pm

The 951-2n is a nice sized and affordable router for home and small business use.
Please read here what it is really!
http://routerboard.com/RB951-2n

Original text in the first line:
he RB951-2n is the home wireless AP you have been waiting for!
It is not a router, it is a wireless access point!
- WLAN AP = Layer2 device
This device is not storing anything!
- Router = Layer3 device
This device is storing DNS and DHCP entries for caching proposes!
We seem to have a high failure rate with the things.
Perhaps the ram is full filled with stored informations?
After power cycling the things will just have steady power and activity lights and none of the ports will light up.
So you see something goes wrong, or?
Anyone else having issues with them?
For sure many of them were not reading what MikroTik were made this device for!

A router is routing and a wireless access point is only connecting the endpoint device to the network!
The most peoples think they can use this device as a cheap router, but there fore it was not made for!
In normal terms and conditions wlan access points are owning only one LAN port and only wireless devices can be connected to this WLAN AP! but MikroTik is giving their customers some LAN ports on top and then many of them
are using this device as a small router and full filling the forum with failures, issues and problems, is this right?
a lot of crap and to much free time ...you always blame the user, not helping.

Dobby

Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:11 pm

Deleted because not related.
Last edited by Dobby on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

hci
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:21 pm

So how does the 951-2n being under powered cause it to brick after a power cycle or firmware upgrade? It works fine when its working but I have had 4+ die now and it seems to always happen after a power cycle of some sort. They work great when they work and I am using one at work and at home right now. I just did a speed test at home accross wifi and can do 22mbps by 10mbps and thats what the PPPoE profile is set at. I can do a linux ISO bittorent download at 20mbps and CPU load on the 951-2n seems to hang around 20 percent mark. Thats running through PPPoE, NAT and wifi all on the 951-2n. And its also doing IPv6 over PPPoE and it seems that most bittorrent traffic went over IPv6.