Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

RB260GS ONU in GEPON network using SFP (TX=1310nm/RX=1490nm)

Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:53 am

Pardon me if I have some information/questions wrong - I am new to this ...

We are building a 2,000 to 4,500 client FTTH GEPON network (GEPON - not GPON). I was considerint Adtran or Calix - however I am now taking a serious look at the Mikrotik RB260GS (or something Mikrotik that will support client ONU side NAT) for use as the customer located ONU.

Our plans are to use a maximum of 16-way passive optical splitters and drop down to 8-way splitters for our most distant clients on the fiber PON. This should enable 100+ meg download speeds for everybody at the same time and not encounter network congestion. (FYI I am considering a bank of squid servers to buffer/cache http traffic)

I am guessing that I am going to need about 300 head-end OLTs to talk to the 2,000 to 4,000 client GEPON ONU devices (best guess at this time).

The head-end OLTs will use SFP fiber lazer modules which use wavelengths of TX=1490nm/RX=1310nm.
The client-end ONUs will use SFP fiber lazer modules which use wavelength of TX=1310nm/RX=1490nm.
This way each head-end OLT will be able to send & receive to up to 16 client ONUs through the passive optical splitter PONs.
Many client located ONUs will be close/local (16-way splitters) and some may be up to 24 miles away (thus the reason for 8-way splinnters for the extra db signal)

I am planning to offer triple-play where customers can have (IP-TV, VO-IP and Internet from 5 to 100+ MB download speeds).

Here are my questions:
- Has anybody got something like this working using Mikrotik as the ONU?
- What GEPON SFP modules were used in the client ONU and the head-end OLT?
- Does it work well - and should I also me considering other types of ONUs and OLTs?
- What SIP devices appear to work well?
- What else should I be asking or looking at?

Thank you for your input and answers.

Tom Jones (in North Idaho U.S.A.)
Red-Spectrum
Coeur d'Alene Tribe

jcremin

Re: RB260GS ONU in GEPON network using SFP (TX=1310nm/RX=149

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:56 am

Have you had any luck tracking down any SFP modules that will work with GEPON?

warwick09
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:31 am

Small world (dslr)...

I've been looking into the same thing for a few weeks. Finisar did make an announcement in sometime last year regarding a SFP E/Gpon module. It was dubbed the "gpon stick"

Here is the announcement and a product link page, although I'm not quite sure if they have finished development or exactly how to get a hold of a few to do testing.

http://www.finisar.com/blogs/lightspeed ... nsceivers/

http://www.quagwire.com/optical-transce ... nsceivers/

If you guys are able to source further information, please be sure to note.

jcremin

Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:52 am

I checked them out a little bit, but they don't have much documentation that shows any real specs. I'll keep digging, but if you find out more before me, be sure to post! :)

ropeba
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Mikrotik doesn't support EPON protocol!
You can try with EPON STICK ONU SFP Transceiver, he has integrated EPON chip.