MikroTik App

vincen
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

How to select correct SFP adapter ?

Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:10 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for help to select the correct SFP transceiver to install in my Mikrotik router. The cable supplied that links the fiber box to the wall socket is this one:
http://www.reseaudirect.com/catalog/pro ... 22_544_545
When I look at Interprojekt website they have different models of SFP with SC connector: http://www.interprojekt.com.pl/opticsfp ... -1099.html
How to know which one is the good one ?

Thanks for help,

Vincèn

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How to select correct SFP adapter ?

Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:14 pm

You have to know what module is used in the other end.

vincen
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:36 am

You have to know what module is used in the other end.
Unhappy I'm unable to find the info as the ISP will never tell me what equipment is on other end. I have only the reference of the ONT used but I didn't find any details about it on Internet to know what signal is used :(

che
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:11 pm

Unhappy I'm unable to find the info as the ISP will never tell me what equipment is on other end. I have only the reference of the ONT used but I didn't find any details about it on Internet to know what signal is used :(
That is strange, usually there is type of fiber connector in specifications table. What is the ONT model in question? Maybe someome had experience with it and can help, if there really is no detailed specifications on the Internet.

vincen
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:03 pm

That is strange, usually there is type of fiber connector in specifications table. What is the ONT model in question? Maybe someome had experience with it and can help, if there really is no detailed specifications on the Internet.
here are pictures of ONT supplied by ISP and fiber on which it is connected :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

AW: How to select correct SFP adapter ?

Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:08 pm

You're sure this not GPON?

vincen
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: AW: How to select correct SFP adapter ?

Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:18 pm

I never said it was not GPON :) but I guess so it is :) my goal is to replace the ont and connect the fiber directly to my Mikrotik router but I have two issues, well three in fact:
-> is Mikrotik firmware is able to handle all protocols and encryption used by GPON systems ?
-> find the correct SFP adapter to be able to plug the fiber in the Mikrotik router
-> find the configuration of the original ONT to be able to copy it in Mikrotik ;)

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:33 pm

I never said it was not GPON :) but I guess so it is :) my goal is to replace the ont and connect the fiber directly to my Mikrotik router but I have two issues, well three in fact:
-> is Mikrotik firmware is able to handle all protocols and encryption used by GPON systems ?
-> find the correct SFP adapter to be able to plug the fiber in the Mikrotik router
-> find the configuration of the original ONT to be able to copy it in Mikrotik ;)
MT does no GPON. And if they would I am sure your ISP has some security to prevent you from connecting any device you want to.

vincen
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:25 pm

MT does no GPON. And if they would I am sure your ISP has some security to prevent you from connecting any device you want to
oky thanks for info about fact MT is not doing GPON, so it looks like I won't be able to remove that ONT ! I wanted to remove it as it's crap and crashes too often :(

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:23 am

Use the Ethernet to your mikrotik device. Problem solved. :D

btw, have you asked your ISP to provede info about a connector in your site? Why should they not provide you that info?

vincen
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:50 am

Use the Ethernet to your mikrotik device. Problem solved. :D
?????
btw, have you asked your ISP to provede info about a connector in your site? Why should they not provide you that info?
yep but they state I have to use their ONT and their modem box for security and efficiency reasons....... I succeeded easily to remove the modem box to use my Mikrotik but for the ONT it looks lot more complicated and in all matters not possible as Mikrotik firmware doesn't implement features needed to replace the ONT :(

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:17 pm

I have no clue at all about that "omt", but why cant you use this box, and connect Ethernet to your mikrotik device.

vincen
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:17 am

I have no clue at all about that "omt", but why cant you use this box, and connect Ethernet to your mikrotik device.
ONT is the optical/ethernet interface that is used with GPON technology (it's in charge basically to select which part of signal received on the fiber is for each subscriber, as GPON multiplexes multi customers on one fiber out of the building). I have removed the box supplied by the ISP as it's crap and doesn't support bridge mode so it's completely useless :)