MUM Europe 2020

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

RB750UP not showing traffic on slave ports

Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:48 am

I have a rb750UP installed last week.
Its four PoE-out Ethernet ports supply power to connected routerboards.
Port No. 3,4 & 5 are slave ports of the master power no.2
The master port No.2 is together with port no. 1 in a bridge.

The devices connected to port 2 to 5 are all AP units with many clients.
As far as routing and conectivity concerns everything is fine.
But for monitoring each port separate: Ports 3,4,and 5 show no traffic whatsoever! How come?
All traffic from these ports shows in the counter of Ethernetport 2 (which in fact has no connected device yet.. This must be because it is the 'master' of the other 'slave' ports?)

Also, traffic from connected devices is thus only shown in Etherport 2 and in Etherport1 (since its connected to the main gateway, traffic coming in the switch leaves here), but the bridge itself doesn't show that traffic?
Why not? Traffic flows throught the bridge I would think.....?
I know this is a 'transparant' bridge, but why is it not showing traffic running through it? But it does show traffic to, or from it.
Show your appreciation of this post by giving me Karma! Thanks.

Rudy R. Puister

WISP operator based on MT routerboard & ROS.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: RB750UP not showing traffic on slave ports

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:36 pm

hmm, by reading switch chip features it looks like traffic on the ports that are part of a swich cannot be monitored by ROS as such.
(I have to setup port mirroring towards anoter port. This can only be done on one port at a time and I loose one port than for use since it has to be the mirror-monitor port? Is this all right?)

So, basically, if I want to 'see' traffic flowing on each of the ports in ROS I have to make sure each port is part of ROS. Thus I have to remove all switch ports and use all ports as normal Ethernet ports that I all put in the bridge.

Since the connected devices normally spoken are not communicating to eachother (clients on AP's 'talk' to the internet, not to eachother) there is also no need for 'wire-like speed' between these.
The traffic in need for the best speed is going out the port 1 anyway which is a normal 'bridged' port?

Can anybody confirm my thinking in this?
Show your appreciation of this post by giving me Karma! Thanks.

Rudy R. Puister

WISP operator based on MT routerboard & ROS.