Community discussions

MikroTik App

otgooneo
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

RouterBoard as Barcode scanner

Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:37 pm

Suddenly came up stupid idea in my head, when I researching barcode reader. Is there any possible way to receive 12 digits from Serial interface send this text to the somewhere over TCP?

Please post here your comments even you don`t have idea or experience.

MacLean

Re: RouterBoard as Barcode scanner

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:23 pm

So I'm assuming you'd hook up the bar code scanner to either the USB port or the serial port. Someone would need to write a driver. Someone would need to write a module that either encapsulated the data into TCP and sent it to a destination address...and again someone would have to write another program to receive the data. Alternatively you could take the data and put it in a file on the RouterBoard.

Why? Lots of products out there that already accomplish this - there are even wifi enabled barcode scanners and whole POS (point of sale) suites of software. Granted at ridiculous and astronomical prices.

We've already got a long list of current features that need debugged. No point in distracting folks.

-Mac

otgooneo
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:13 am

Thanks for your suggestion MacLean. We need specific environment that need to check code. But database is faraway from barcode readers. So I researched some Android OS and Windows mobile OS based programmable terminals. But they are expensive. Also I need to find coder who can develop client application.
If routerboard can forward RS232 or USB inputs directly to my SQL server, it will be very cheap and easy solution. Of course, in the server side we need application that receives code, checks and responds back.

otgooneo
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:59 am

I just think it's a good idea if we can use RouterBoard as Barcode scanner, but I really don't know how to do it. If you have some new information, please share with me. Thank you a lot.
Unfortunately no any good updates.

bkuhn
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:23 am

You're looking at the wrong hardware, it's a router at heart.

I would recommend looking at Android based tablets and Bluetooth scanners. You will probably be a couple hundred dollars into each, but way more flexibility.

What about using a USB over Cat6 extender?

luminescentsimian
just joined

Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:23 am

A Raspberry Pi would probably be much more suited to the task. It should be pretty straight forward to whip up a python script to read the data from your actual barcode scanner and send it to SQL then flash some LEDs to show it worked

otgooneo
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:17 am

A Raspberry Pi would probably be much more suited to the task. It should be pretty straight forward to whip up a python script to read the data from your actual barcode scanner and send it to SQL then flash some LEDs to show it worked
Thanks for your suggestion. Yes, that`s what I`ve done. My programmers developed JAVA application on android terminal and it connects to my server, which is Python software.