Community discussions

MikroTik App

solibra
just joined
Topic Author

Indoor deployment: Groove vs RB 711UA

Sun May 05, 2013 3:49 pm

Hi everybody,

i will be replacing our Ubiquity AP's (a mixture of Unifi and Picostation) in a four-storey, concrete walls appartment complex with Routerboard Hardware.

While the wireless signal propagation was satisfying, the UBNT stuff is performing very unreliable with Notebooks and mobile clients (frequent WPA error disconnects, AP suddenly unresponsive for minutes, etc...).

I thought about deploying Groove A-2HN's with the 5dbi N-type rubber antenna, because this would be more turn-key deployment than having to assemble 711UA-2HnD's with enclosures, pigtails, etc... Plus the Grooves are smaller.

Are there any reasons that speak against using RB Grooves for that kind of indoor deployment ?

Thx for your input!

ohara

Re: Indoor deployment: Groove vs RB 711UA

Sun May 05, 2013 7:27 pm

Hi, the 711UA-2HnD has two wireless chains and it supports MIMO. Whereas Groove has one chain. Practically you can achieve more throughput with 711UA-2HnD. Much depends on your requirements.

Btw. here's a dedicated enclosure for 711 and similar boards. http://www.rfelements.com/en/products/e ... ox-inspot/

solibra
just joined
Topic Author

Sun May 05, 2013 11:53 pm

Nice enclosure! They seem to be limited to 160mm length omni antennas which are hard to find. I might use the outdoor enclosure http://www.rfelements.com/en/products/e ... tionbox-s/ instead.

What antennas do i need for MiMo ? Just two ordinary 2,4Ghz omni's, right ?

Pozdrawiam 8)

ohara

Mon May 06, 2013 12:51 am

Two ordinary 2,4Ghz omni's are fine, one placed in horizontal and the other vertical angle. How many AP's are you planning to install on each floor?

Gruss :)

solibra
just joined
Topic Author

Mon May 06, 2013 1:03 am

It is an apartment building with two stairways. Currently we have two Picostations 2HP with 5dbi omni's on each floor mounted in each stairway.
I am very pleased with the wireless signal propagation. I think the additional receiving gain we get with the 5dbi omni helps a lot with the weak signals coming from notebook clients in the apartments... Thats why i want to have a bigger antenna on the new AP's as well.

Neilson
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 06, 2013 11:56 am

I have been very impressed with the RBGroove A-2Hn and the ZyXel EXT-108 antenna.

I am using them for an external deployment and really impressed with range and propagation.

Its also nice to have the sturdy mount on the side of the antenna.

YMMV

Regards
Alexander

WirelessInstruments

Wed May 15, 2013 1:23 pm

Take a look at this one, there is 20dBi good dual polarity antenna inside, a lot of intallation space, designed for your application :)

http://www.wireless-instruments.com/en/ ... -20hv.html