MikroTik App

rizwan602
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

RB750GL maximum throughput

Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:30 pm

Hello,

I have a RB750GL operating as PPTP server and with EOIP tunneling enabled. I have 3 client locations connecting to it and everything is working great.

My question is, is there a speed/throughput limit in the RB750GL?

Right now I can only obtain about 20 Mbps over the tunnels, collectively. I can do file transfers from location 1 for example and get 20 Mbps, but if I start to do file transfers from location 2 and/or 3, there is still 20 Mbps of TOTAL bandwidth but the client sides start slowing down. For example if I have 3 clients doing file transfers, their bandwidth drops to about 6.5 Mbps each, and the total bandwidth remains about 20 Mbps at the 'server'.

I think there is a hardware limit in the RB750GL. I have tested connections over fast links (about 50 Mbps each) so I should be getting more but I am believing that there is either a hardware or software limit.

Can I somehow unlock the limit or am I stuck with this? Do I need to get an upgraded RouterBoard? If so what would you suggest?

Jetrider

Re: RB750GL maximum throughput

Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:40 pm

I also happen to have this problem, only on RB433AH

timberwolf
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:32 pm

I'd say 20Mbit/s is okay for the small CPU in the RB750GL. Did you have a look on the CPU usage during such a file tranfer? Do you have encryption enabled?

doneware
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:58 pm

1st of all, what is the MTU size on the physical interface?

if you plan to pass "normal" ip packets over them with EoIP and PPTP, there will be plenty of overheads.
then the router has to fragment the packets, which is a resource hog, and the number of packets forwarded also increases.

say, you have TCP MSS adjustment on the router, and the built up TCP connections will have small enough packet size to avoid fragmentation. but then there's UDP, which will be definitely fragmented.
if you don't use mangle rules to tweak mss, tcp will be too.

cpu power is measured in two ways: bandwidth and PPS. sometimes you reach the PPS limit sooner than the BPS.

soulflyhigh
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:07 pm

Don't use eoip for high speed L2 tunnels, try mpls/vpls instead.