Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

LarryG
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

RB2011uas - Constant boot loop anyone else seen this.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:00 am

Hi,

I have several locations we have installed several of these rb2011uas-ln's and so far we had about 4 of em at different locations all started to go into a boot loop. on the screen you can see it starting services and then trying to load kernal from nand and then it would just start over and beep and the leds would all blink together. this would continue.

I am not sure if we have a bad batch of hardware or there is something up with the firmwares. I have been able to get a couple back in house and rescued them with a netinstall but then it happens again a few weeks later. in the mean time we have reverted back to ording the good ole rb2011-ln with out the touchscreen if these do it too i can only suspect a firmware bug

I have not been able to find a bug or a fix listed in the change logs that mention this kind of symptom yet. so I ask you the community. has anyone else seen this issue or run across it. what can i try to do to recover the sup files to see what might of went wrong.

thanks to those who read this.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: RB2011uas - Constant boot loop anyone else seen this.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:20 am

try to reinstall it using netinstall tool. Maybe some error/power drop during update process.

LarryG
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:23 pm

As i stated i have recovered them with netinstall. however the same thing happens again a few weeks later. this is very difficult for me as these routers hundredes of miles away from so everytime they start boot looping it cost our customers a lot of pain and money. thanks for the reply. however this thread isnt really about finding an answer on how to fix the router. it is more about is this a known issue with that model or is there a firmware out there that is known to have this problem

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:37 pm

Please upgrade to RouterOS v6.3, and if the issue continues, make a supout.rif file and contact support@mikrotik.com
No answer to your question? How to write posts

LarryG
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:50 pm

The current version that we are seeing is MikroTik RouterOS 6.0rc14 (c) 1999-2013 that is whats coming stock on them.

The problem with just upping the firm to 6.3 is if we send the router back out and it does again then we loose out on shipping cost again and we look incompitent to our customers who also suffer. Currently we are considering going back to 5.24 I am just curious how that will effect a model with LCD or if its even compatiable.

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:14 pm

Currently we are considering going back to 5.24 I am just curious how that will effect a model with LCD or if its even compatiable.
The newest revisions require v6+ I believe.

LarryG
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:01 pm

Thanks. That is what i was afraid of. I had another one of these die on me this morning from the same exact thing.

edit:

I received one back from an off site location. Attempts to netinstall fail. I can get it to see the device. when i go to install the new firmware it said that its sending an offer. then after about 20 seconds or so it just stops and the device status switches back to ready.
is apparent that no data was written to the device.

also if you try to install again it gives an error about no stat file or something like that.

I am curious could this be causes by a bug that would corrupt the nand in the device that was fixed in a later firmware?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:01 am

v6.0rc is not recommended, please upgrade to the latest v6.3, which fixes gig Ethernet hang that affected some boards where the signalling between the switch chip and CPU was on the edge of being stable. The software change makes it stable.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

LarryG
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:21 pm

v6.0rc is not recommended, please upgrade to the latest v6.3, which fixes gig Ethernet hang that affected some boards where the signalling between the switch chip and CPU was on the edge of being stable. The software change makes it stable.
thats the plan for the few that are left working in the field. any thoughts on how to flash one that just doesnt want to respond properly.

LarryG
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:39 am

lost another one. this time it was my personal rb2011 it was the older model the in. one of the first ones out. i had flashed it up to 6.013rc and left it there for a a long time. never had any problems. then i started pushing more connections to it. then i remembered that i should get off that rc stuff. so i flashed the newly released 6.4 and poof it rebooted and it was toast. cant even netinstall it either. its a crying shame too.

sadly i cant help the fact that im addicted to this gear even with its faults. so i just ordeded a rb2011uas-2hnd-il to replace it. of coursee that is my personal stuff.

in our production environment if we cant put a stop to these boot looping bricks we will have to abondon our way as a mikrotik reseller and i really really dont want that :(

michaelcarey

Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:51 am

I seem to have just experienced this exact symptom on my RB2011UAS-RM.

Prior to this I was noticing that the LCD screen was not responding to swipes and this morning I noticed 100% CPU Usage. My next thought was to perform a reboot (via winbox) and now I am stuck in a boot loop. I get up to the stage where the screen shows boxed for Interface, Stats, Stat Slideshow, etc. and then after a few seconds it reboots. Oh and I am experiencing the gigabit ports not negotiating a giagbit link with a gigabit switch too.

My RB2011UAS-RM is (was) running RouterOS v6.4 and has been operational for just over a week. My configuration should not have been at all stressful for this router.

The cure apparently is to use Netinstall to recover the router, but if I have to do this every week (even ONCE is bad enough)... it will be going back!

This is my own personal router for home, so it's not a mission critical device. I work in an industry where failure of equipment can cost a LOT of money so I am used to things being perfect. My old Cyberguard/Snapgear router has been in service for over a decade.

I thought after my very positive experiences over the years with an RB750, RB951 and a pair of RIC/522 5.8GHz outdoor routers that the RB2011UAS-RM would also be good... so far this seems NOT to be the case. :-(

Michael.

LarryG
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:18 am

I agree. This is just unacceptable for field equipment. sadly I have about 30 of em in the field at this point. thankfully most of them are pre uas models.

However because of the failure of the new models and the cost to swap them out we are sad to say that our mikrotik division probably wont make it past the year.

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:36 am

MikroTik is growing ... which can be hard on a company. Let's hope they can make it through this rough spot. I really like their products.

LarryG
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:43 am

I like their product as well too. I think they do a lot of things wrong. like having a linux based product then ignoring the linux users. or not testinging their releases or hardward and dropping lots of faulty stuff on the market.

It does not matter how cheap their gear is if it constantly breaks down people will go with a name they know. theres a reason why cisco is so expensive because its reliable.