Community discussions

MikroTik App

sigluft
just joined
Topic Author

RB1100AH w/RouterOS 6.4

Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:24 am

I purchased an RB1100AH earlier in the year as a backup for my production router, and RB1100, which was running 4.3 software. Yesterday, I swapped out the older unit, with the RB1100AH with the latest, greatest 6.4 software.

There appeared to be some issues with my small WISP, which motivated me to make the upgrade. It turned out that my two DNS servers (SUN Netras) were blasting as much as their little 10Mbps NIC's could handle. I'm assuming they were in some what hacked and being used for nefarios purposes. It was very easy to figure out with the new WebFig UI, as it showed me in real time the traffic rates.

What also helped me figure out there was a problem, was that the RB1100AH kept resetting. Literally every 1-2 minutes. Once I figured that out, I was able to disconnect both servers - yeah for Google DNS - less power consumption for my remote site. Now, now longer at the remote site, I've noticed that my VPN still resets every 10-20 minutes; I believe its associated with the RB1100AH resetting.

My observation with the DNS server initiated events, was that high traffic was associated with the resets. Similar traffic is starting to form as normal operation (20-45Mbps) which I gather is tied to the resetting.

Help???

Sig

sigluft
just joined
Topic Author

Re: RB1100AH w/RouterOS 6.4

Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:33 am

As an aside, while configuring the RB1100AH, I noticed a comment in the forum about memory in the unit, and something about a specific configuration requirement for the RB1100AH. Of course I can't find that thread anymore, but in the back of my mind, I'm thinking this could be related. Maybe buffers filling past cache memory, and then triggering a reset as it gets to DRAM or something hypothetical like that.

I'm not finding very much online, other than some nasty critiques about the RB1100 off this forum. Opinions please!!!

Sig

tmorrison88
just joined

Re: RB1100AH w/RouterOS 6.4

Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:04 pm

Do you have any log reports as soon as the routerboard comes back online from this reset? Would also check to see if ping watchdog is disabled, or has an IP address specified if it is enabled. Bad power?.. could throw in an UPS prevent brown-outs if you don't already have one. Have you checked the Mikrotik routerboard firmware and made sure it is up to date since your recent installation of RouterOS 6.4?