Community discussions

MikroTik App

paulsa
Topic Author

SFP only router

Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:27 am

Hi

Would really love to see a SFP only CCR. E.g >8 SFP ports for use in e.g our datacenter. Is there talk about this?

AlArenal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: SFP only router

Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:09 pm

CCR1016-12S-1S+ has already been announced on MUM St. Louis. See: http://www.mikrotik.com/download/share/us13.pdf

abyss
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:47 pm

Hi,

Do you already have a release date for this device ?

Best Regards,
Julien Hoppe
http://www.wifx.net

AlArenal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:03 pm

No I haven't heard of it, yet.

But as the product itself has no new technology / components and therefore needs no new drivers, etc. it should just be a matter of getting it built and shipped. I personally hope it's gonna be released by the end of this year.

But again, there's been no official word by now.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:05 pm

I would guesstimate Q1, 2014

AlArenal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:09 pm

Thanks, normis!

How much would you bet on it? ;-)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:09 pm

Thanks, normis!

How much would you bet on it? ;-)
I don't have any other information at this point.

abyss
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:10 pm

Yeah 8)

waiting for it...

paulsa
Topic Author

Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:37 pm

CCR1016-12S-1S+ has already been announced on MUM St. Louis. See: http://www.mikrotik.com/download/share/us13.pdf
Geat, remember seeing it a while back but google wasn't my friend today for trying to find it.

ofca
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:41 pm

is there something in the works with 2 SFP+ and some (as many as possible) SFP ports?

brianlewis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:40 pm

CCR1016-12S-1S+ looks neat but 1Gbps is dying here in the USA, we are upgrading our whole network to 10gbps connections at least to 24/48 port gigabit switches which have 2 SFP+ ports on them to feedback to the Mikrotik. Our CCR1016-12S-1S+ is great but we are already using both SPF+ 10gbps ports and need more!! We need an 8-12 all SFP+ router is what we need. Show us the love!

AlArenal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:52 pm

MT would need to base a model on the Tilera TILE-Gx72 chip in order to be able to deal with 8 x 10 GbE. That's the most a single Tilera chip can handle right now.

But Tilera themselves pack up to 8 x36s into a single unit so theoretically we could see multi chip CCRs. But it would need adequate demand to put a lot of engineering power into such a device. And it would easily be the most expensive device MT has ever made..

abyss
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:57 am

Hi,

Is there already a price annoucement ?

Best Regards,
Julien Hoppe

paulsa
Topic Author

Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:52 am

And it would easily be the most expensive device MT has ever made..
Still would be cheaper than the $10K per 10GBe fibre cards for the cisco's we use!

AlArenal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:03 am

Netgear just recently released a pretty cheap 10 GbE Switch-Line that starts with 8 copper ports 81 SFP+ combo) for about 750 Euro incl. VAT here in Germany (XS708E). A 12 port model named XS712T is available for about 1350 Euro and has 2 SFP+ combo ports.

Of course it depends on your needs and architecture whether a 10 GbE switch is of any use for you.

paulsa
Topic Author

Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:02 pm

Netgear just recently released a pretty cheap 10 GbE Switch-Line that starts with 8 copper ports 81 SFP+ combo) for about 750 Euro incl. VAT here in Germany (XS708E). A 12 port model named XS712T is available for about 1350 Euro and has 2 SFP+ combo ports.

Of course it depends on your needs and architecture whether a 10 GbE switch is of any use for you.
That is a L2 switch, totally different product.

AlArenal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:08 pm

Sure, it depends for what exactly you need 10 GbE. If you really need to route between several 10 GbE a L2 switch won't do anything to you. But honestly, if I had to route such traffic, I'd rather use Vyatta Core ;-)

mindaugasr

Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:05 am

Mikrotik, is any plan to release 12sfp 2 sfp+ with 36 core cpu?

eflanery

Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:37 pm

MT would need to base a model on the Tilera TILE-Gx72 chip in order to be able to deal with 8 x 10 GbE. That's the most a single Tilera chip can handle right now.

But Tilera themselves pack up to 8 x36s into a single unit so theoretically we could see multi chip CCRs. But it would need adequate demand to put a lot of engineering power into such a device. And it would easily be the most expensive device MT has ever made..
I'd love to have a device like that (8 SFP+) available for use as P routers. It would be enough to completely upgrade our fiber core to 10Gbps and a bit beyond.

Hmm, two of those per PoP, each sending a 10Gbps CWDM wave in up to 6 different directions, with the last two ports dropping off to distribution... 120Gbps of transport + 40Gbps of access per PoP, even a bit of redundancy, with only two core devices (not counting passive optical gear)... Would be nice. :-)

I'd think ~$3-4k/ea for something like that would be easily justifiable for us.

I'd even take some 3x SFP+ CCRs (or, even better, 1 SFP+ and 2 10G-baseT), which should be doable with the Gx36, probably around the price of the current CCRs. Use a pair of those cheap netgear 10G-baseT switches as redundant core fabrics; then one CCR per wave, per direction, connected to both fabrics. Not nearly as tidy as a couple of 8x SFP+ units, but it would work.

Please make these devices MT!

--Eric

thehoff
just joined

Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:37 am

I would personally love to see 2 x SFP+ and 2 x 10GbaseT to allow for copper drop out in my rack and SFP to ISP/Telco/CWDM and then 4x1Gb copper...

- my 2cents

afink

Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:50 pm

MT would need to base a model on the Tilera TILE-Gx72 chip in order to be able to deal with 8 x 10 GbE. That's the most a single Tilera chip can handle right now. But Tilera themselves pack up to 8 x36s into a single unit so theoretically we could see multi chip CCRs. But it would need adequate demand to put a lot of engineering power into such a device. And it would easily be the most expensive device MT has ever made..
... which is still much cheaper than anything similar from Cisco, Juniper and Huawei in this speed class.

I would buy it right away.

kroberts
just joined

Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:23 am

I'd love to know if RouterOS would work on Tilera's boards. Like the Gx72.

I'd also love to know if Tilera answers their own email. I sent them a query from their web site a week or so ago, they haven't bothered to get back.

Does anyone have a link to any documentation for TILE architecture? I can't even get enough information to know if this is the right thing to buy for me, and with their stellar sales response I'm starting to think that no matter what the architecture looks like, it's going to be a "no".

spacemind
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:03 pm

Hi,

Is there any realease date for europe. SFP switch?

Thanks

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:10 am

I'd love to know if RouterOS would work on Tilera's boards. Like the Gx72.

I'd also love to know if Tilera answers their own email. I sent them a query from their web site a week or so ago, they haven't bothered to get back.

Does anyone have a link to any documentation for TILE architecture? I can't even get enough information to know if this is the right thing to buy for me, and with their stellar sales response I'm starting to think that no matter what the architecture looks like, it's going to be a "no".
RouterOS works on TILERa devices made by MikroTik. Cloud Core Router has a TILE CPU. What problems do you have ?

kroberts
just joined

Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:22 am

I guess I have a bit of confusion about the Tilera processors. I don't really want to pollute this thread with my ramblings.

The overall project for which I have big networking needs is a virtual machine farm based on Linux. The thing is, most of this is a bunch of VMs with small requirements, and depending on the nature of the Tilera processors I may be able to use Tilera boards as the processor for the VM hosts, AND some of the cores be tasked for routing and firewall duty.

The boards look very flexible, but I don't know what sort of functionality is available from them. If RouterOS works on those boards directly then my rear is covered and I could buy a bigger processor and if it doesn't work out as a VM host, it would work as a router. If RouterOS doesn't work on them, then it's a big gamble.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:04 am

RouterOS itself can only be installed on an X86 machine. It works only on TILERA boards made by MikroTik, not on other ones.

So again, RouterOS works on:

1) x86
2) hardware made by MikroTik

You can run it inside a VM, if the VM image is emulating x86, no matter what the host machine is.

Kreacher

Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:25 pm

Hi

Would really love to see a SFP only CCR. E.g >8 SFP ports for use in e.g our datacenter. Is there talk about this?

Hello,

- CCR1016-12S-1S+ as announced from MikroTik
Cheap, electric saving and related on the port density very cheap.

- x86 self made Router with many Intel network cards, I suggest to try out
a Supermicro Intel Core i7 embedded board in combination with HotLava
network adapters!!!!
Not cheap and not power saving material but very powerful

- Linktechs PowerRouter v2
can be sorted with 3 modules and 8 SFP or copper based LAN ports on each module.
Proof to run and work best together with MikroTik RouterOS

- And if this is only a lame duck or you need more power in your datacenter
feel free to use one of the newest appliances from Lanner inc. the FW-8895
this is a very handy and powerful appliance but at the moment MikroTik RouterOS is not able to
unleash the power of such a device related on some points and skills.
- RouterOS CPU multicore usage
- more than 2 GB RAM
- ECC and/or REG RAM
- real x86_64 Bit version of MikroTik RouterOS

But you are able to install VMWare on this machine and then installing RouterOS
in some or many VMs that would be a really hint for those datacenters, so one machine is
able to hold many different Routers with different Licenses and/or using many different LAN ports!

This machine (Lanner FW-8895) can be sorted up to 65 GB LAN Ports with:
- 8 modules holding 8 SFP or copper LAN ports
- 4 HDDs and 4 modules with 8 SFP or copper LAN ports or 4 modules with 4 SFP+ LAN ports
- Network modules with ordinary Intel chips or
- Network modules with 8 LAN ports each sorted with one TILERA Tile Gx36 Core many CPU!!!!!!!!

So this would be really good on one site related to the LAN port density but on the other site
it´ll be very expensive.