Community discussions

MikroTik App

ggs331
just joined
Topic Author

BGP full route

Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:04 pm

I have both CCR1016-12G and RB1100AHx2 running BGP full route, each with 1 peer. I have met many issue such as hang, route flapping. The only way is reboot. Is there anyone using these two running BGP full route well? Do you think a x86 box with higher CPU spec will be better than these two?

It has bee bring a lot trouble for me. If still not able to resolve it, I may need to replace it with a Cisco 3925 or higher.

BTW, anyone tried Vyatta to run BGP?

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: BGP full route

Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:24 am

I have a CCR1036 running full Routing- But dont have anny issues.

Is Your peer cisco? It might help to not use autoneg at Ethernet.

Kreacher

Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:22 pm

Do you think a x86 box with higher CPU spec will be better than these two?
It could be a way to solve it out.
It has bee bring a lot trouble for me. If still not able to resolve it, I may need to replace it with a Cisco 3925 or higher.
Could also be a chance to solve the problem, the CCR series is not so long in the market and in my eyes
not false free running. But the Cisco equipment is running well for long times, but also for more money.
BTW, anyone tried Vyatta to run BGP?
It is a very stable and feature rich full system and with the right hardware for sure also a very powerful platform.
But I suggest to take right server hardware and not to put cheap pc hardware in use.

AlArenal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:37 am

If you're interested in Vyatta you may want to check out the new Ubiquiti EdgeMAX Edgerouter and Edgerouter Pro models which are running an extended version of Vyatta 6.3. We just preordered two today after I've been playing around with an Edgerouter LITE for a while.
The preinstalled 2 GB RAM can also be upgraded (SO-DIMM).

raz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:10 pm

If you're interested in Vyatta you may want to check out the new Ubiquiti EdgeMAX Edgerouter and Edgerouter Pro models which are running an extended version of Vyatta 6.3. We just preordered two today after I've been playing around with an Edgerouter LITE for a while.
The preinstalled 2 GB RAM can also be upgraded (SO-DIMM).
Nothing against them, but their Performance is worst, even more worst as Mikrotik. And the Support never replied me after i wrote a complete Ticket with Pictures and lot of Informations. Good that i got my Money back for this crap.

SwissWISP
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:18 pm

If you want a very reliable device for this job, I would recommend you to buy a Brocade CER 2000 Series router.
Sure, it's much more expensive than a CCR, but they are great devices. Lots of power (Hardware Routing) and stable as a rock.
I don't see the EdgeRouter Series as a real alternative to the CCR Series.

- Mat

Kreacher

Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:16 pm

I consider to that meaning, but the Edge Router series is fully 100% compatible to their own
equipment, likes their switch series too.

MikroTik is using and offering to their clients the HWMP (HWMplus) protocol as I see this right
and for the compatible equipment as also sold by MikroTik it would be running good, but for the
Ubiquiti equipment likes wireless APs are not compatible to this protocol they are only compatible
to the HWM protocol and so I really think Ubiquiti was founding up and creating their own router
series, not more and not less. :o

I am pretty sure if their would be a droop down menu in RouterOS for choosing what protocol
(HWMP or HWM) your are going to use, we had never seen any kind of routers from Ubiquiti.
Only in my poor opinion

barkas
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: AW: BGP full route

Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:30 pm

If you want a very reliable device for this job, I would recommend you to buy a Brocade CER 2000 Series router.
Sure, it's much more expensive than a CCR, but they are great devices. Lots of power (Hardware Routing) and stable as a rock.

- Mat
Why not a cisco asr while you're at it?

ARBEIT ANGST KONSUMTERROR

AlArenal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:26 am

Nothing against them, but their Performance is worst, even more worst as Mikrotik. And the Support never replied me after i wrote a complete Ticket with Pictures and lot of Informations. Good that i got my Money back for this crap.
Are we talking about the new Edgerouter models here?

I haven't had to open a ticket for the ERLite yet. Other than Mikrotik, the Edgerouter team (including the developers) are pretty active and responsive on their forums (other that the MT staff here). I can't comment on other products as they're not relevant to me (don't use them) or the BGP topic of this thread.

And reading through their Edgerouter forums, reading differenet articles on the web, etc. the Edgerouter series seems to be performing very well (as long as you don't need 10G connections) and Vyatta is pretty well documented (thousands of pages of official documentation).

Considering the price of the Edgerouter (Pro) compared to the CCRs I wouldn't mind giving them a try. Can't hurt, can it? And even if the hardware is not fast enough for you, you get a good view at Vyatta's capabilities and may decide to build your own router running the latest Vyatta Core.

And btw, if you complain about the non-reactive UBNT support.. how would you describe the MT support? ;-)
Vyatta has been around for a decade and you should be able to find quite a number of pros in each and every country.

I would have gone all the way with MT and may have migrated our whole AS to us (it's now in a co-location 30km away), but all the reported CCR / ROS got me thinking and I can't afford to have to reboot our core routers all the time. So I checked for alternatives in a similar price range (we can't put five digit numbers in this for some Cisco or Juniper equipment) and here we are.

At the end we'll see how it works out. But I wouldn't rule out an alternative until I had my own hands on it and again for the price it's a no-brainer to go check for yourself.

SwissWISP
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:52 am

Why not a cisco asr while you're at it?
Well, an ASR is OK too. :)
But you just get more power and much more GigE-Ports (24) for your money.

Back on Topic.
We run some CCRs in our Network and they are routing full tables. But because of some nasty bugs (port flapping, etc.) and the fact that all routing protocols are running on one core only, I wouldn't recommend it as a border router.

raz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:10 am

Are we talking about the new Edgerouter models here?
Yep, i can pm you the Script. Would not Post it into Forum cause everyone can see it.