Community discussions

MikroTik App

blueagle91
just joined
Topic Author

Sound Card interface

Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:03 am

Well im new with MikroTik, not new with networks but with MikroTik yes. So also new here ont he forum, hope to find some good people.

Well also i need for some my project, to transfer sound through network, in both directions. So imagine you sit on computer and you listen to sound from other side of network but also need o send sound.

This is easy when you have sound cards, good quality sound cards exist as USB, well they are not very pro style but reasonably good.

So my question is, is MikroTik compatible with USB sound cards, or is it possible to force it to be?

Kreacher

Re: Sound Card interface

Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:12 pm

So my question is, is MikroTik compatible with USB sound cards, or is it possible to force it to be?
From my side of view it isn´t able to force, the routers are mostly sorted with a beeper and that is it.
Kindly regards
Kreacher ♬

--------------------------------------
Karma points must not be paid by you

eflanery

Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:22 pm

It sounds like what you are looking for is some form of USB over IP, where the USB port on the router would be remotely forwarded to a computer somewhere, so that the computer can make use of the USB device as if it were locally attached (VHCI).

MT did attempt to add support for that, but unfortunately it didn't work out for v5 or v6: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61297

Hopefully, this will return in v7.

Even once they get it working though, it _may_ not be great for USB sound cards, as those tend to be _very_ sensitive to jitter.

Other USB over IP solutions do exist, such as those at http://www.siig.com/it-products/device- ... er-ip.html ; but I have no idea regarding their performance, reliability, suitability, or quality.

--Eric

blueagle91
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:15 pm

I know the problems with Jitter very well. Hmm ill try thath one, but i think FPGA-s will have to work for native PCI support AGAIN.

Just thought it could be easy to do it with finished product,just buy it plug it configure it and go.

Thanks for reply.