Community discussions

MikroTik App

ColonelSteveAustin
just joined
Topic Author

doubts about dimensioning number of users for hardware.

Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:36 am

Hello fellows,

This is my first post here. I have been working with mikrotik for a while and maybe this doubt could be of help for many users.

I have been developing applications to mikrotik for the last two years and despite I love this product, there is something that really pisses me off, and I will tell you way.

My boss always asks me when we are using a device(i.e.: RB450g) what would be the maximum capability of users for a certain application running there(i.e.: VPN gateway,Hotspot,etc.) and I always tell him a fatidic: it depends how traffic will flow the infrastructure and my answer are always guesses what really makes me feel down. Anyways -perfomance on processors depends a lots on power supply voltage ,temperature(environmental conditions) and the size of the script.

Do you have any calculator or page that I could use as reference? I make my guesses in general based on statistics I have on my personal files(i.e.: rg951-2n traffic shapping for a voip application working and being used for a network with more than 5 users being shapped, fatally colapses).

Comments are highly welcome.

Regards,
Cyborg
the man with the router of 6 million bits!:)

gulliverrr
just joined

Re: doubts about dimensioning number of users for hardware.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:40 pm

I am in exactly the same situation many times and I don't have a clue for large scale projects how its parameters will affect its performance. We mainly work with the Hotspot functionality.

Can anyone at least share their experience with existing projects they have installed like "I have a RB450g Hotspot installation with internal database and with 50 concurrent users and the CPU/RAM do not go over x%" ?

Cheers guys!

gargola

Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:07 pm

The problem here is that every network is a totally different world. The mikrotik performance depends on how many rules do you have. Every rule you add to firewall, mangle, queue, nat, etc. Will be reflected on you router CPU. If you search in the mikrotik page, on each router can tell you the performance depending on the number of rules and traffic of your network.

Enviado desde mi LG-D805 mediante Tapatalk

JanezFord
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:40 pm

This situation is no different if you use any other brand of equipment .... no user is the same, no situation is the same, there is no simple way to say this router can manage 38 users, this router can manage 316 users, this router can manage 762 users ... it always depends on the amount of data your users generate and complexity of configurations you use for the task.

omega-00
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:08 pm

Here's an example why standard calculators and the like don't really work for router setups; you get to know what your preferred setup 'costs' the router in CPU cycles and how many users it can support.

On v5.26 with my standard firewall + QoS tree + simple queues, an RB1100AHX2 can support about 200~hotspot users at a maximum throughput of 80Mbps.

On v5.26 that same device managing a free wireless network can handle 800 users at 30Mbps and simple queues.

It's all about where most of your traffic handling needs to occur, that's why some people get confused as the figures MikroTik provides as their Routerboard.com results, yes an RB450G can process 700Mbps of routed traffic, but that's before any sort of firewall rules are added. You really just need to test it out and if you need to, then move up to the next model or alternatively try to give yourself some overhead in the CPU.

We've been rolling out CCR's now even though we only get them to idle along at 5% just because they're cheaper than the X86 boxes we were using beforehand! :-)

Hope this helps give you a bit more understanding.

gulliverrr
just joined

Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:48 pm

thank you all guys! pretty much what I feared :)
omega-00 your examples are the guidance I was looking for
cheers