Community discussions

MikroTik App

Valerio5000
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

RB951G-2HnD as the main router and RB951Ui-2HnD as AP and /

Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:32 am

Hello everyone, I wanted to know if it is possible to use the RB951G-2HnD as the main router and a RB951Ui-2HnD as an access point (then connected with cable) to extend the wifi. I need to set something in particular? Instead, without having any cable how can I set the RB951Ui-2HnD as a repeater? Thanks to all

Quindor

Re: RB951G-2HnD as the main router and RB951Ui-2HnD as AP an

Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:19 am

Yes, both setups are possible without problem. Using a cable for a second access-point is always better then using a mesh/wifi bridge to extend the network but, as said, both is possible.

RouterOS/Mikrotik does require some basic knowledge to get this to work though. There is numerous ways of accomplishing this using different configurations.

Valerio5000
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:10 am

Yes, both setups are possible without problem. Using a cable for a second access-point is always better then using a mesh/wifi bridge to extend the network but, as said, both is possible.

RouterOS/Mikrotik does require some basic knowledge to get this to work though. There is numerous ways of accomplishing this using different configurations.
Thanks for the reply. To use the ap ok with the cable instead for the repeater mode to know if the simple solution? ;)

efaden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:36 am

Thanks for the reply. To use the ap ok with the cable instead for the repeater mode to know if the simple solution? ;)
Huh?.... using the cable to do this is really easy. And will yield much better throughput.

Valerio5000
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:45 am

Huh?.... using the cable to do this is really easy. And will yield much better throughput.
hello, to use the second RB as a repeater without cable as I do?

Quindor

Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:10 am

Sorry, please try to explain again. I'm guessing English isn't your native language, but currently we just do not understand what you are trying to build/configure.

Using the devices you mentioned in one big WiFi network is possible, one as the gateway, one as an access-point basically extending the range. While possible to use a wireless uplink/mesh this will severely reduce and limit performance and if at all possible, is not advised.

Further then that, we do understand your questions.

pkombala
just joined

Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:44 am

Sorry, please try to explain again. I'm guessing English isn't your native language, but currently we just do not understand what you are trying to build/configure.

Using the devices you mentioned in one big WiFi network is possible, one as the gateway, one as an access-point basically extending the range. While possible to use a wireless uplink/mesh this will severely reduce and limit performance and if at all possible, is not advised.

Dear sir ,
Can u explain how I can extend WiFi rage in one school with three floor building with same ssid , like Tplink Universal repeater mode ! thanks

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:41 pm

Use cables for connectivity distribution - especially at such place like school is. Use the same ssid but not overlapping frequencies. Use more APs with lower transmitt power, if you count with many connected client devices...

Sent from Android by Tapatalk.

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:09 pm

Use roaming technic with network cables this is much better than repeater stuff.

Valerio5000
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:20 pm

Sorry for my english

Modem/router > ethernet cable > RB 951g >>>>WIRELESS>>>>RB 951g>>>smartphone and other device

;)

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:13 pm

Yes, this is the best way to do.

Valerio5000
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:43 pm

Yes, this is the best way to do.
and you know how?

as also other solution

modem/router > RB 951g >>>> ETHERNET CABLE >>>> RB 951g > client and other device

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:51 pm

Use you the default settings from the routerboard?

Quindor

Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:05 am

You need to setup the second routerboard as a default access-point. Use a the same SSID but a different wireless channel as the first one.

So channel 1 for the first one and channel 6 for the second one for instance. Having the same SSID will automatically enable the clients to roam to both access-points.

Further routerboard configuration needs you to figure this out yourself I believe. Sit down with it, figure out what you need/want (you should know this by now) and then start with the first routerboard and try and get it configured using the wiki and video examples that are available on the internet. The "Quick set" feature should also help to get you started.

If you run into problems, ask questions, but do try first by yourself.

Valerio5000
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:09 pm

yes!

Ubimikrotik
just joined

Re: RB951G-2HnD as the main router and RB951Ui-2HnD as AP and /

Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:19 pm

Hello guys, can we shed more light on this? I want to extend internet from one 951 to another 951 via cable 'cos both are on different location, but both will have same ssid/credentials. How do I go about the manual configuration?

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RB951G-2HnD as the main router and RB951Ui-2HnD as AP and /

Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:15 pm

First: what is the RouterOs from your Routerboards?
Second is your router modem RB951G-2HnD?
What is your country? (from the wireless settings)