Community discussions

MikroTik App

uplinker
just joined
Topic Author

CCR1036 and OpenWRT

Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:07 pm

Hello,
I'm working on porting support of CCR1036 in OpenWRT. I'm sure many of us are interested in this.

I have already built kernel and rootFS, but I have problem to boot it on my CCR (it's CCR1036-8g-2S+).
I do can pass my kernel over TFTP, but I can't make it to do any output on serial console nor net.
I even tried to make kernel <4Mb, knowing that there were some issues with net booting larger kernels on other platforms - no luck.

do I need to put any patches there, or vanilla kernel should work ? could you guys share any knowledge how to make it work?
3.14.4 compiles without issues, but 3.3.5 (which is used in Mikrotik ROS 6.12) - throws an error :
make[5]: *** No rule to make target `drivers/net/ethernet/tile/tilegx.o', needed by `drivers/net/ethernet/tile/tile_net.o'.  Stop
Any help is appreciated

uplinker
just joined
Topic Author

Re: CCR1036 and OpenWRT

Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:03 pm

An update to the topic.
tilegx.c file does not exist in vanilla kernel up to 3.5.x.
Also, putting Mikrotik's linux-3.3.5.patch doesn't help to fix this problem.
While the patch is massively changes menuconfig, even provided arch/tile/configs/tilegx_mbootconfig configuration without changes throws same error.
I've already contacted Mikrotik support regarding missing file, awaiting reply.

Is it worth to play with 3.3.5, or it's better to stick to vanilla 3.14? seems it already has all the functionality that patch introduced.
For now, compiling vanilla 3.14 is completely fine, but during netboot only can see following :
Press any key within 2 seconds to enter setup..
trying dhcp protocol.............. OK
resolved mac address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
Gateway: 192.168.88.254
transfer started ....................................... transfer ok, time=0.42s
setting up elf image... OK
jumping to kernel code
PS. I do integrate kernel command line "console=ttyS0,115200", so kernel should print at least something after serial driver is up. But still no sign of kernel being started.

Tigerauge
just joined

Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:28 pm

any updates on this topic?

thank you.

uplinker
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:00 pm

Got some updates - there is a way to boot custom kernel on CCR, but it involves a lot of hacking to the original mikrotik firmware and hexedit magic to make it bootable. The problem is that even being able to boot custom kernel, there is no a single network interface found in the kernel (there is no tilegx.c driver in the patch).

Mikrotik support refuses to provide the tilegx.c file (which I think violates GPL), and without this file there is no way to do any networking on the box.
I tried to port this file from 3.5, but no luck - still there are no network interfaces on the box. So until Mikrotik will provide an updated kernel patch including this file as well - there is likely no way of playing with custom kernels on the CCRs

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:50 am

its more to work/cooperate with Tilera(interested in better support of their arch on Linux), than MikroTik team, . whose are "not help" not cause had something Against OpenWRT, but simply lack of spare time/hands.
and while OpenWRT can't really compete with Zero Overhead Linux -based firmware on Tilera platforms, they had less fromal reasons to do it in worktime. just in case if some tilera partners developers/enginers, involved in OpenWRT "just for fun" in spare time(some other companies folks - really did).

uplinker
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:43 am

I can't agree with you, Zorro. Tilera won't even bother to provide you anything, unless you bought their MDA (which costs 12K$, and makes no sense without training - 3K$/per person). They sell proof-of-concept platforms and software, not the end customer equipment like Mikrotik does.

dashangmi
just joined

Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:53 pm

Hello,
I'm working on porting support of CCR1036 in OpenWRT. I'm sure many of us are interested in this.

I have already built kernel and rootFS, but I have problem to boot it on my CCR (it's CCR1036-8g-2S+).
I do can pass my kernel over TFTP, but I can't make it to do any output on serial console nor net.
I even tried to make kernel <4Mb, knowing that there were some issues with net booting larger kernels on other platforms - no luck.

do I need to put any patches there, or vanilla kernel should work ? could you guys share any knowledge how to make it work?
3.14.4 compiles without issues, but 3.3.5 (which is used in Mikrotik ROS 6.12) - throws an error :
make[5]: *** No rule to make target `drivers/net/ethernet/tile/tilegx.o', needed by `drivers/net/ethernet/tile/tile_net.o'.  Stop
Any help is appreciated