MikroTik App

warwick09
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mikrotik - FTC Media Converter - FTTH Application

Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:19 am

(Hey Normis')

Seems like Mikrotik is taking a positive step having mentioned the FTC media converter which appears to have a sfp port and is poe enabled.....and of course is outdoor rated.

My question is then - does anyone know of a gepon sfp module which allows interfacing with a gepon olt? (I know this question has been asked many times).

I'm sure many of us here have been thinking of entering the ftth market but the lack of reasonably priced equipment or familiar suppliers makes this an uphill battle.

I hoping either someone has something in mind - or even better- if Mikrotik can chime in as to their future plans (if any) in this area?

(You can charge a premium, I'm sure we wouldn't mind :D )

Twido

Re: Mikrotik - FTC Media Converter - FTTH Application

Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:44 pm

Dasan H640SFP is gepon sfp module compatible with any Dasan olt. But I can't guiarantee that this will work with mt FTC converter. (1,25 / 1,25 vs 1,25 / 2,5 )

doneware
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:09 pm

Dasan H640SFP is gepon sfp
nope. it is GPON. it's a GPON ONT device in SFP form factor.
on the connector side it is standard 1.25/1.25GbE

on the optical side, it's 2.5/1.25
as it is GPON, it offers a lot more (unnecessary outdated) service than Epon/Gepon/10Gepon,
because it was built to be "backwards compatible" with BPON.

GPON <> GEPON, look here http://www.commscope.com/Docs/GPON_EPON ... 107286.pdf

but to answer the original question, yes, it will (read: should) work in the FTC. as it works in every GigabitEthernet SFP
device, cause this was the main idea: to transform any SFP enabled GigabitEthernet device into an ONT.

and no, not a single regular GE device (switch, router, media converter) is capable to act as OLT, regardless of the xceiver inserted into their SFP sockets. OLTs does have a more complicated task, which right now cannot be squeezed into a pluggable form factor.

Twido

Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:46 pm

You are right, my mistake.

mapunda

Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:41 pm

Hi Normis

do you have plan to add more ethernet ports to this FTC Media convertor? I expect one with 5 ethernet ports and another with 8 ethernet ports(few of them poe out)

bds1904
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:15 am

IMHO the FTC isn't suited to be a proper FTTP device because it doesn't have provisions for a proper fiber demarc. Using the FTC would require mounting a separate fiber demarc enclosure on the outside of the prem.