Community discussions

Valerio5000
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

The perfect router for the home

Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:07 am

I wanted to propose to Mikrotik to make a device for the perfect house with 1 or 2 USB 3.0 ports (or eSata port) with file sharing (Samba, FTP, and DLNA) and print server + wifi AC with a design similar to 951g with integrated antennas. It would be the perfect device and it would buy 100 units for me, friends and colleagues!

Especially the DLNA server!

The USB 3.0 ports should ensure sufficient performance for Samba and DLNA

Obviously only for the units referred to as use for home :D

Sorry for my english

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: The perfect router for the home

Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:18 am

Print server was already discussed here several times. It is useless IMHO. Samba already works but file access is terribly slow.

ohara

Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:37 am

I wanted to propose to Mikrotik to make a device for the perfect house with 1 or 2 USB 3.0 ports (or eSata port) with file sharing (Samba, FTP, and DLNA) and print server + wifi AC with a design similar to 951g with integrated antennas. It would be the perfect device and it would buy 100 units for me, friends and colleagues!
Hi Valerio, some time ago i had the same requirements, but I quickly learned that a router is not a NAS. Maybe there is a gap in the maket, but with your requirements you should rather buy a NAS or silent PC.

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:18 am

nothing.
there isn't USB3.0 support on RB device(what for ?) and built-in CPU/SoC too weak for real-use SMB. also there isn't DLNA support in Wi-Fi package(no such complex media-servers and management).
point is: pick something from Asus, Linksys, NetGear, D-Link and other consumer brands on dual-core 800-1200Mhz ARM chips. like once popular Ac58 or ac68 from 1st enumerated brand, for example