Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

jeremyh
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

RB2011 wifi vs rb951 wifi performance

Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:03 am

I was looking at getting a RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN for a site that has had wireless performance issues with an older 802.11g router/AP (it's only a few rooms - but thick walls), but my distributor is out of stock. They do have the RB951G-2HnD though.

They appear to have the same wireless chipset and both have an antenna gain of 2.5dBi, though the 951 antenna is integrated. I'm wondering what the real-world difference would be. Can anyone comment on the practical wifi performance of the RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN vs. the RB951G-2HnD? (Actual routing performance doesn't matter too much to me, neither does wireless throughput, I just want a robust signal).

Thanks!

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RB2011 wifi vs rb951 wifi performance

Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:50 am

Cannot compare as it is always question of actual environment. But the antennas are not the same. 2011 has outer 4dbi antennas that means you get stronger signal when receiving and need to set bigger attenuation to be in limit when transmitting. Outer antennas are better as you can orient them and achieve better results using mimo than with internal antennas that have "sphere" character. But for some small flat (if not built from steel hardened concrete) should be also 951 good enough. Agree with seller that he will take it back if it will not fit your needs and try it.