Community discussions

MikroTik App

diode
Topic Author

Overlenght Ethernet Cable - Which Product works best ?

Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:07 pm

Hi,

we do have a 114 m long Cat 7 Ethernet Cable in a server housing center, their room layout is so Sh** that you always get very long connections.

That cable worked good with a Routerbord 2011 with gigabit connection for 3 years, now it starts making problems.

I wonder which mikrotik products ethernet has "most" reserves for me beeing used for my long cable. I'd prefer a mikrotik product, but I could also use any recommended third party switch as a repeater.

Getting fiber costs 1000ends of Eur ...

Thanks, Maria

CyberTod
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Overlenght Ethernet Cable - Which Product works best ?

Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:11 pm

It mostly depends on the cable itself. Sometimes when a cable is aging it just degrades and a long link just starts making problems.
You can start by replacing the connectors and see what happens.
I've seen some of the dumbest switches you can find perform good in this scenario.

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:16 pm

You could always put a PoE-powered switch somewhere in the middle of that long cable run in order to remain within the official 100m limit of Ethernet.

-- Nathan

diode
Topic Author

Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:26 pm

hi,

this is a server housing center, you have to buy the (overlenght) patches from them, and may not place any equpiment somewhere in between.
you may even not make a patch yourself, just plugging in a patch cable costs eur 650 each (if cables are present).

is there any difference between a "dump cheap switch" or the switch chip of the 2011 ?

who has experiences with long cables ?

does the switch of the 2011 degregade over time ?

thanks

marrold

Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:37 pm

this is a server housing center, you have to buy the (overlenght) patches from them, and may not place any equpiment somewhere in between.
you may even not make a patch yourself, just plugging in a patch cable costs eur 650 each (if cables are present).
Sounds like a nightmare. Change host.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:53 pm

Or make them responsible for the link quality if you pay for the cable that is out of the standard limits.