MikroTik App

fabifri
just joined
Topic Author

poor cAP wifi performance - wether w. CAPsMAN or standalone

Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:48 am

Dear Forums,
Dear Mikrotik supporters,

i got my hand at two of teh new MikroTik cAP - Ceiling Mount Accesspoints. From their price point and look and feel i really like them. 8)
But i have some performance issues with them. It does not matter if i run them standalone or in conjunction with CAPsMAN.

I only get data-rates up to 10-20 Mbit/s at the client-side. I am also switching the clients - it does not matter at all. The Intel-WiFi at my notebook goes only up to 144 Mbit/s.
I also own several RB951s and RB751s - also in conjunction with the CAPsMAN i can get up to 100+ Mbit/s of throughput - which is just fine, which i dont expect more. The WiFi-card on the notebook goes up to 150 Mbit/s when the RB951/RB751 is in use.

So, at this point i don't know what i am really doing wrong? Is the cAP just low-performance, maybe only single-chain? Or simply not capable of handling high throughput but lot's of clients in an overcrowded office environment? What is the maximum brutto-data-rate for the cAP's wifi-interface? Well, i don't know...

Here are some of my WiFi settings in the CAPsMAN:
Wireles.JPG
And the Channels:
channels.jpg
In standalone-use i also recognized that there is only Chain0 available in the HT Chains.

Maybe the performance-issue is simply a configuration error? :?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and information!
kind regards
Fabian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: poor cAP wifi performance - wether w. CAPsMAN or standal

Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:52 am

Did you run some tests, or just checked the info in Winbox? Data rate only rises when there is traffic on the device. So when you start downloading something, data rate will increase.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:15 pm

cAP-2n board has only one chain so the maximum data-rate is 150mbps.

fabifri
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:53 pm

Did you run some tests, or just checked the info in Winbox? Data rate only rises when there is traffic on the device. So when you start downloading something, data rate will increase.
Hi and thanks for the quick reply.
Yes i did the test with some CIFS data transfer to a file server. I know that is not an accurate testing method - i can do some ipfers measurements too...

What keeps me wonderig is, that when i look at the Registration Table in the CAPsMAN menu, i see my client and i see the TX rate constantly dropping back to bit and then it begans to rise again. Then it beginns to drop again. Thats crazy. The RX Rate of the Client is constantly 100Mbit/s+.
This behaviour i can only see, when there is data traffic going on.

On the same configuration - with windows file cooy dialogue used - i can achieve a max. of 2.26MB/s(megabytes) when using the cAP. With the RB951G i am able to achieve up to 6.5MB/s.(megabytes)

When the cAP is only Single Chained - why can i only achieve a brutto date rate (on the client side, which is a Lenovo X230) of 144Mbit/s?
With the RB951 used i get a reading of 150Mbit/s.

Still wondering...

Thanks + kind regards
Fabian

Quindor

Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:25 pm

Have you tried using a 40Mhz channel instead of only 20Mhz? That could easily double your performance and provide what you are used to.

The RB751 you used is dual-chain and could have given you 300Mbps maybe? Anyway, especially with one chain 20Mhz or 40Mhz can certainly make a difference.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:45 pm

Not only single chain radio but also week amplifier could be the problem. Also you can have it set in wrong way.

fabifri
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:11 pm

Not only single chain radio but also week amplifier could be the problem. Also you can have it set in wrong way.
Well, there are not a lot of options to configure in CAPsMAN at all. I am using CAPsMAN v2.
Have you tried using a 40Mhz channel instead of only 20Mhz? That could easily double your performance and provide what you are used to.
When i try to type in 40MHz it does accept it, but the CAP-Interface (i.e. the Accesspoint) gives me an "unsupported channel". :(
channel_40mhz.JPG
unsupported_channel.JPG
Can someone please tell me which settings are the correct ones for RB951G, RB751G and cAP ?

Thanks in advance!
kind regards
Fabian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:35 pm

fabifri,
use width 20mhz and then specify extension channel option Ce or eC.

fabifri
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:06 pm

I had to use 20MHz anyway, because 40MHz was throwring an error. ;-)
Still, using 20MHz Ce the TX-Rate keeps dropping all the time. even with only one or two 802.11n-capable clients logged into the network. It starts to climb up all the way up to over 100Mbit/s, then it massively drops. (i can see this in Winbox, how the TX-Rate to the clients drop...)
It seems like, that the transmitter starts to transmit, get into some trouble (electronically maybe?), and drops the TX-Rate. I don't know.

I also tried standalone operation without CAPsMAN - i cant figure out the correct settings to get the full wireless bandwidth - the netto bandwidth. Every single time when i start to receive massive data loads on my notebook, it drops to about 25-30Mbit/s netto.

On the RB951G i can get the full two-chain 300Mbit/s working without any problems. Full speed also on the client side, no problems what so ever. I really lik to know what's wrong with the cAP-Series of Accesspoints.

Could anyone confirm that? Do the other cAP-users experience that problem too? Would be glad to get some feedback.

kind regards
Fabian

oceanmaster

Re: poor cAP wifi performance - wether w. CAPsMAN or standalone

Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:47 am

Is this the correct place to post this sort of problem? Why is this man not getting any help or suggestions from Mikrotik? Surely you guys have one quick answer to solve this config problem? I was considering buy several hundred for large business parks I administrate but with this up in the air you can be sure I will not be using Mikrotik ceiling mounts and therefor probably not Mikrotik at all.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:37 pm

This is user forum, not support forum. If someone knows, he answers. Nothing more.

biew55
just joined

Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:48 pm

I got low speed on Tx too...

fabifri
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:31 pm

Is this the correct place to post this sort of problem? Why is this man not getting any help or suggestions from Mikrotik? Surely you guys have one quick answer to solve this config problem? I was considering buy several hundred for large business parks I administrate but with this up in the air you can be sure I will not be using Mikrotik ceiling mounts and therefor probably not Mikrotik at all.
I am at the Mikrotik MUM in Zürich (Switzerland) right now and nailed the problem down to the support guy. He asked me kindly to email the support team with the problem, while referencing to this thread here, and sending them my config and a suppout-file.

I think that biew55 has exactly the same problem than me.

I will now get my hands on the cAP's again, and see if we can figure the peoblem out together with the support team.

kind regards
Fabian

AleGor
just joined

Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:05 pm

Dear Fabifri

Did you find the solution to your problem? I have exactly the same situation. I bought MikroTik Cloud Core Router + 2 x cAP 2N.