MikroTik App

alexvdbaan
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Lower ISP speeds after swapping 450G to CRS125-24G

Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:57 pm

Hi everybody,

I switched from a 450G to a CRS125, I experienced a massive drop in available bandwitch (normally 120Mb, now 30Mb) from my ISP (UPC, in the netherlands). I built the config up from scratch, I have added both configurations with this post. Can any one of you tell me if there is some hardware change between these two devices that could lead to such a drop in speed?

Thanks in advance for your replies and help.

Alex
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AutoM8
just joined

Re: Lower ISP speeds after swapping 450G to CRS125-24G

Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:04 pm

Hello,

I have exactly the same issue moving from a 450g to a 850gx2, Thoughput on the 450g always maxed out ISP 100Mb dn /20Mb up. With the 850gx2 all I can get is 30Mb dn /20Mb up. Same results with restore config and then also with a basic config from scratch. I hope someone has a solution. Upgraded to the 850gx2 to get some more power for firewall and VPN but cant even get the basic config performing as well as the 450g. I hope someone has found the issue, have been pulling my hair out.

Best Regards,

Z

Quindor

Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:27 am

I'm using a RB2011 with my Ziggo 180/18 connection without any issues, always able to obtain full speed.

In the past I did have some kind of negotiation problem with the modem though where the connection between the modem and the RB2011 would not negotiate correctly. If that happened I would also see similar performance problems. Sometimes in the GUI it would say 100Mbit sometimes 1000MBit.

A part of that was fixed in RouterOS software, a part in the modem firmware and I've also had the same issue which replacing the cable solved.

Could you try and see if replacing the cable and checking the connection speed could resolve your problems?

Otherwise, get 2 computers and run some iPerf between them to see what the Routerboard and the ports can achieve. I advise to try bridged (easiest), routed (2 subnets) and you can even setup a NAT config on them. Be sure to make some port mappings if you do!

If you need a guide on iperf, take a look over here: http://blog.quindorian.org/2014/05/a-gu ... ering.html . Really interested in what results will come back!

alexvdbaan
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:06 pm

Hi Quindor,

Thanks for your reply. Of course I can quickly swap a cable and I will definitely check out iperf so see my performance on the CRS125. However my feeling is that there is some other issue here. The cable has functioned over the last year and I do receive my normal connection speeds when using my RG450G. So that makes me think that there is something different on the CRS125.

Perhaps because it is marketed as a switch versus a router? I see all the familiar features however. I will replace the cable and set my ether1 interface to 100M in stead of auto negotiations. See if that helps.

Thanks, Alex

Quindor

Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:09 pm

Hi Quindor,

Thanks for your reply. Of course I can quickly swap a cable and I will definitely check out iperf so see my performance on the CRS125. However my feeling is that there is some other issue here. The cable has functioned over the last year and I do receive my normal connection speeds when using my RG450G. So that makes me think that there is something different on the CRS125.

Perhaps because it is marketed as a switch versus a router? I see all the familiar features however. I will replace the cable and set my ether1 interface to 100M in stead of auto negotiations. See if that helps.

Thanks, Alex
That CRS125 should easily be able to do 150Mbit or more in Routing/NAT/Firewall. It basically has the same processor as a RB2011 and from my testing, it does seem a bit slower (20% or so?), but not by much. Let's say max 200Mbit with current software versions.

Yeah, I understand a "replace your cable" remark basically sucks. But I've found strange things in the past. That's also why I suggest testing with a 'separate' testing set to try and rule out stuff. I've noticed negotiation problems with Cisco and Ubee modems before, which I did not have with any other equipment I tried. Certain firmware (on both sides) fixed that.

That's why I advise to test with 2 PC's/Laptops on different ports and see what they can achieve in various configurations. If that works, we can continue testing until in the end we hopefully end up with the cause! :)

alexvdbaan
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:05 pm

HI Quindor,

I changed my cable and testes again, I found that I didnt get higher than 35Mbit. I booted my 450G up and connected my modem, speedtest immediatly gave me the full 121Mb and 12Mb down and up. This would rule out my modem I would say. Perhaps I have a faulty ether-1 port, that I could test by setting up a dhcp client on a different port? If that test would still only get me to 35Mb it would most likely be a setting somewhere since you mention that teh power shouldnt be an issue.

I will report back when I changed ports.

Alex

Quindor

Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:06 am

HI Quindor,

I changed my cable and testes again, I found that I didnt get higher than 35Mbit. I booted my 450G up and connected my modem, speedtest immediatly gave me the full 121Mb and 12Mb down and up. This would rule out my modem I would say. Perhaps I have a faulty ether-1 port, that I could test by setting up a dhcp client on a different port? If that test would still only get me to 35Mb it would most likely be a setting somewhere since you mention that teh power shouldnt be an issue.

I will report back when I changed ports.

Alex
Good that you tried a different cable! But please test the way I posted above. The test you did now only ruled out the cable, not the modem itself.

So, setup two ports, each with their own subnet and setup NAT between them and then test using 2 computers and iperf between them (don't forget to create a port mapping). That way your setup will represent 100% the way Internet traffic also comes in and gets processed.

Also, as I've written before, I've had cable modems which would have negotiation problems so we can't rule out the cable modem just yet.

Quindor

Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:49 am

I had a talk with a friend about this problem and he suggested trying the solution listed in the following post. That should bring your speed up to what it should be. :)

----------
Have you tried changing the queue type for the master port? Change it from only-hardware-queue to default-ethernet
----------

alexvdbaan
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:57 pm

Hi Quindor,

thank you for that suggestion, this solved my issue! I changed this setting on all my ports and it worked perfectly.

thanks for your help on this point

Alex

cwildermuth
just joined

Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:21 am

I feel like I'm having the same/similar issue... I bought the CRS125-24G-1S and while it seemed to perform "ok" initially, I'm starting to have a lot of performance issues with it dropping packets and making VOIP calls HORRIBLE randomly. When I'm watching the interface list, I can literally see EVERY interface drop to 0 bytes at the same time sporadically.

Free memory is over 100MiB, CPU load is typically <30% (unless I run a speedtest and then it goes to 100%).

I actually upgraded the firmware to 6.37.3 and I think the problem got WORSE....

How do I downgrade to 6.15?? And someone said the license wont work on a downgrade?? How do I fix that? :-/

I'm really kind of disappointed with this...

onnoossendrijver

Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:06 pm

I believe there is something else wrong in your setup. The 2011 should not drop packets that massively.
Do you see the TX Drop counter increment on the Interface TX Stats Tab?