Community discussions

MikroTik App

Farhadgh
just joined
Topic Author

Hardware request!

Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:35 am

Hello. I've seen hAP lite. Thats a good approach to see Mikrotik in more places. but have you ever considered making a Wireless router with ADSL 2+ input? That will target a wide range of customers having ADSL service. I have ADSL too. and I bridged my ADSL modem and made pppoe client in my router. It would be nice to see mikrotik implementing ADSL capability in it's home and office products.
Everyday, a better day!

marrold

Re: Hardware request!

Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:53 am

This sounds like a good idea to me.
I'm a SIP / VoIP engineer. Feel free to ask questions...

joegoldman
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:05 am

Hello. I've seen hAP lite. Thats a good approach to see Mikrotik in more places. but have you ever considered making a Wireless router with ADSL 2+ input? That will target a wide range of customers having ADSL service. I have ADSL too. and I bridged my ADSL modem and made pppoe client in my router. It would be nice to see mikrotik implementing ADSL capability in it's home and office products.
They've said before this is unlikely - as entering the 'Telecommunications' side of things (which is different to normal networking) starts new compliance - and regional compliance. For wireless gear its easy enough to build a one size fits all, then user self-regulates based on region - with the ADSL gear I'm pretty sure it has to be locked and compliant for each region, so they would possibly have to have multiple revisions of one board to distribute.

The other option to keep costs down is to build an interface style system where 'addon cards' can be made to fit, either directly by Mikrotik or by 3rd parties (think SFP). Cisco do this and works well being able to add HWIC's etc for different types, means they can build single router, and only manufacture different cards, but this is still a HUGE step to take.

Personally I use TP-Link 8817's, they come pre-bridged and are quite small and cheap.

Valerio5000
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:33 pm

I am of the view that Mikrotik should do an "all-in-one" (with or without ADSL modem) for domestic users with a very simple interface of ROS, it would be a perfect device stable but "domestic"

troffasky

Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:17 pm

They've said before this is unlikely
A shame, because where I am, DSL represents >90% of last-mile installs and two boxes is not an adequate solution.
with the ADSL gear I'm pretty sure it has to be locked and compliant for each region, so they would possibly have to have multiple revisions of one board to distribute.
You must be thinking of 5GHz where the FCC wants this stuff to be hardware locked, ie separate SKUs for the USA.
Personally I use TP-Link 8817's, they come pre-bridged and are quite small and cheap.
If TP-Link can kick out DSL CPE on the cheap, then anyone can. The only 'regions' that DSL has I'm aware of are Annex A [over POTS] and Annex B [over ISDN].
The other option to keep costs down is to build an interface style system where 'addon cards' can be made to fit, either directly by Mikrotik or by 3rd parties (think SFP).
It would be great if someone could get a DSL PHY into an SFP module.
Cisco do this and works well being able to add HWIC's etc for different types, means they can build single router, and only manufacture different cards, but this is still a HUGE step to take.
IME a Cisco DSL WIC on its own costs more than an 800-series router with DSL built in! Juniper and Sonicwall's DSL cards are similarly expensive.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:29 pm

It would be great if someone could get a DSL PHY into an SFP module.
Or USB compatible one.
Real admins use real keyboards.