Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

Netto
just joined
Topic Author

Seeking Hardware Recommendation?

Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:39 am

I'm looking to find out which product would be best for me to acquire. I've never used mikrotik, but I've always wanted to get one, so I'm trying to find out if I'm better off with a switch + router or if I can get a CRS to do both jobs.

What I have:
  1. My ISP's router (company is TDS). I have to use this for their TV services... (their tv is proxied multicast streams [about all I know])
  2. TP-Link 24 port smart switch (TL-SG2424)
  3. 3 servers in garage

What I would like:
  1. Eliminate the TDS router and move TP-Link switch to garage (or sell on ebay ...).
  2. Replace above with mikrotik hardware (rack mountable much preferred)

I've considered MikroTik - CRS125-24G-1S-RM but wasn't sure on how it would perform. All of my house is wired to the smart switch. If it makes sense, I'd like to keep the traffic from the servers limited to just the switch they're connected to if I can. Since the TVs are IPTV, they're connected to the TDS router to keep them off of the switch. In an ideal world, I would have these connected to the switch. I'm budgeting $250 max for new hardware.

Any thoughts ?

jp
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Seeking Hardware Recommendation?

Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:26 pm

With that MT switch, you can assign ports to a "master port"; this essentially allows having multiple virtual switches. You'd assign a few ports for IPTV to one master switch port, and some servers and other stuff to another switch port master, and you'd be sort of running two virtual switches. No idea how to eliminate the TDS router if it's needed for IPTV.

barkas
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Seeking Hardware Recommendation?

Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:40 pm

Mikrotik routers are great, I'd stay away from the switches.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:37 pm

Mikrotik routers are great, I'd stay away from the switches.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:47 am

You didn't tell us how much bandwidth you have coming in. Do you want to handle VPN connections from outside?

You said you want to get rid of the TDS router. But you also said you cannot get rid of the TDS router and keep your video service. You would need input from someone who knows the TDS system and IPTV to get an opinion on whether or not you can fully bypass their router.

The CRS-125 can deal with about 90 to 100Mbps of Internet traffic, before the new fast-conntrack stuff was added in 6.29. I don't trust firmware with that much recently rototilled code, so I'm not even testing firmware past 6.27 on my network yet.

It might be possible to put your TVs in a VLANed off segment of the CRS-125 and let them pass through to the TDS router. Without knowing more about the thing, I can't offer any specifics. Maybe your WAN connection through the TDS router could be a master port for your TV ports. They would still be outside your home LAN segment, but would be in the CRS, if that's what you want to do.