Community discussions

savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Quick Q re Station & connect-list

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:28 pm

Hi,

From the docs (https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... nnect_List)
Operation:

connect-list rules are always checked sequentially, starting from the first.
disabled rules are always ignored.
Only the first matching rule is applied.
If connect-list does not have any rule that matches remote access point, then the default values from the wireless interface configuration are used.
If access point is matched by rule that has connect=no value, connection with this access point will not be attempted.
If access point is matched by rule that has connect=yes value, connection with this access point will be attempted.
In station mode, if several remote access points are matched by connect list rules with connect=yes value, connection will be attempted with access point that is matched by rule higher in the connect-list.
If no remote access points are matched by connect-list rules with connect=yes value, then value of default-authentication interface property determines whether station will attempt to connect to any access point. If default-authentication=yes, station will choose access point with best signal and compatible security.
In access point mode, connect-list is checked before establishing WDS link with remote device. If access point is not matched by any rule in the connect list, then the value of default-authentication determines whether WDS link will be established.
Ok - so first entry matched is used. Further down it states:
mac-address (MAC; Default: 00:00:00:00:00:00) Rule matches only AP with the specified MAC address. Value 00:00:00:00:00:00 matches always.
Ok.

So, if I have multiple APs with the same SSID, I use connect-list to connect to AP1. HOWEVER, regardless of my connect-list entry, the station STILL connects to AP2 (even though the two APs have different MACs, and are on different frequencies).

Adding mac-address=00:00:00:00:00:00 connect=no, the Station refuses to connect to ANY AP, regardless of the fact that there is a connect-list entry matching the MAC of AP1 with connect=yes BEFORE the connect=no rule

How are we supposed to configure connect-list to force the station to ONLY attempt to connect to a single, specific AP?
Regards,
Chris