Community discussions

jmauwireless
just joined
Topic Author

Wireless Wire 60 Ghz Kit Signal Strength Fluctuations?

Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:34 am

Hello MikroTik Community,

We recently installed a Wireless Wire Dish Set spanning approximately 235 meters.
This is the set we are using: https://mikrotik.com/product/wireless_wire_dish and are on Router OS 6.42.6

We were hoping to have full signal strength (100) but have never gotten the dishes to stay solidly at full (100).
The signal strength has always varied in between 80 and 100 but rarely dropped below 80.
Usually the MCS stays at 8 but fluctuates below occasionally corresponding to signal strength.

The dishes are aimed well both by eye and using the MikroTik monitoring interface, we've gotten it to say center and made sure that we are not aimed on a side-lobe.
After aiming, the "aiming" tool inside the dish occasionally drifts, although there is no movement on the dish, it will say Center one moment, right 0.3 degrees, up 0.2 degrees the next, then will change to something like left 1.4 degrees, up 0.2 degrees, without any wind, movement of the dish, environmental changes, etc.
Does anyone else have any issues or tips for aiming these dishes? Power levels at this distance? Channel selection?

Are other people's dishes fluctuating this much? Do you all have solid full level (100) signal at short distances like under 250m?

Yesterday, we began seeing further unexplainable drops in the signal strength and the MCS rate as shown in the graph below. The graphs show the "normal" activity of fluctuating between 100 and 80, but the 8-hour graph shows the drops that we just can't explain. It wasn't a rain-fade or weather interference. These dishes actually haven't responded any differently to rain-fade but its a very short distance.
Does anyone have any clues as to why were seeing very low signal strengths? Or any thoughts on what could be causing these dips?

The setup is a clean line of sight from two buildings roofs that are about the same height.
The client side is on a 6 ft. pole and there are solar panels underneath, it used to be on a 3 ft. pole but we hoped getting a bit more height would help the signal strength issues, it does not seem that the taller pole did anything.
Has anyone had issues with 60ghz dishes or these Mikrotik Wireless Wire dishes interacting with solar panels?

Overall, I'm wondering what experiences other people using this setup are having?
Is your signal strength been rock solid at full (100) and never fluctuates?
Any disconnects? Tips for aiming? Power levels? Etc.?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MonkeyDan

Re: Wireless Wire 60 Ghz Kit Signal Strength Fluctuations?

Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:13 pm

I’ve never seen a signal quality of 100. 80 seems to be the norm, with the occasional link coming up at 95 if it’s a close shot.
In your case, 235m is really close for dishes designed to go 1800m. Try lowering the tx-power on both sides. Start with 10 and see how low you can go for the most stable link. You’ll probably only see signal quality at 80, but as long as MCS is solid at 8, that’s OK.
Also, 6.42.6 seems OK for point-to-point use, but we’ve had problems with multipoint so we’re sticking with 6.42.3 which has been rock-solid all around.

jmauwireless
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:59 am

I’ve never seen a signal quality of 100. 80 seems to be the norm, with the occasional link coming up at 95 if it’s a close shot.
In your case, 235m is really close for dishes designed to go 1800m. Try lowering the tx-power on both sides. Start with 10 and see how low you can go for the most stable link. You’ll probably only see signal quality at 80, but as long as MCS is solid at 8, that’s OK.
Also, 6.42.6 seems OK for point-to-point use, but we’ve had problems with multipoint so we’re sticking with 6.42.3 which has been rock-solid all around.
Hey thanks for the reply.

Lowering the TX-Power on both sides is something I've considered and will try out. We're only doing PTP currently so I'm hoping the firmware revision is fine but also hoping the firmware will get better over time as these are very new dishes, not much real-world experience on them yet.

jmauwireless
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:40 am

Does anyone have any experiences they'd like to share on these dishes? I'm really looking for others thoughts on how they operate and if they've achieved solid performance in terms of staying connected & fast data transfers?

Also, does anyone have thoughts or comments on the aiming capabilities? Or tips on best aiming?

I think they'll keep improving the firmware as there are more use cases in production but right now the firmware doesn't seem completely finished.

krautzj
just joined

Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:31 pm

My only advice is to ignore the 'Signal' and instead aim the Antennas with the 'RRSI' value instead. Just like you, I've seen the Signal go up and down occasionally for no obvious reason.

I've only done 2 links with the LHG60G so far, so I don't have a lot of experience, and they were 300m and 800m, so not very long either. What worked for me was to ignore the signal and the TX and RX sectors, and simply get the RSSI as low as I could. The only other value I paid attention to was the MCS. As long as it's stable when the test-traffic goes over the link, I'm happy.

I'd love to know whether it was intended that we use the TX and RX and Signal values intelligently while aligning the dishes, or whether it makes a difference which sector the radio uses to send and recieve. Since it's a phased-array antenna, it shouldn't make a difference which sector is hot, as long as it's stable, right? One should be as good as the other.

I wish Mikrotik would publish a detailed guide for aligning the LHG60G, along with instructions for how to interpret the link values.

MonkeyDan

Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:13 pm

I wish Mikrotik would publish a detailed guide for aligning the LHG60G, along with instructions for how to interpret the link values.
Me too. We still feel like we’re flying blind with these.
Most if the time they work wonderfully, but when they don’t, we don’t know how to troubleshoot.