Community discussions

heidarren
Topic Author

CAPsMAN slow my WiFi down

Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:26 am

I’m using hAP ac2 and cAP ac, with latest update, everything works fine, very happy for the performance. My Wi-Fi can get me about 450mbps download from both hAP and cAP to my iPhone XS Max, but the roaming experience between them are really bad, lost about 10 pings and disconnected before getting new connection, the chipset and configuration are totally same in both units, and I make sure once a signal less than -70dBm then another signal will be about -55dBm, well controlled overlapping area, not sure why does it so painful to roam.

So I moved on to CAPsMAN, set it up by following the previous config that I used to set in ap mode, the roaming is now working, dropped about 1/2 pings and no disconnection problem, but it only get me about 360mbps, in ap mode with the same config can get me 450mbps.

I monitored the package movement in “interface” and CPU usage, nothing strange, but it just can’t get the speed as what ap mode got. I did enabled local forwarding and disabled client-to-client, tried to switch the CAPsMAN manager from hAP to cAP, nothing helps. I noticed in CAPsMAN mode I can’t set hw protection defragment threshold / immunity / management frame protection.

Does anyone having the performance issue with CAPsMAN too?

Deaqui
just joined

Re: CAPsMAN slow my WiFi down

Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:42 pm

Hello Heidarren.
I think you should configure hap ac2 and cap ac as CAP and configure another router to act as manager.
Regards.

heidarren
Topic Author

Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:03 pm

I only have this 2 units in hand, now I'm using hAP as router and cAP as CAPsMAN, and all wireless in both devices set as CAP.

Really weird, same setting but CAP mode will decrease speed from 450mbps to 360mbps.

Also, I'd noticed the upload speed is different in both devices, I can get 400mbps+ upload speed in cAP but only 200mbps in hAP, checked the connection all running at 866.6Mbps-80MHz/2S/SGI in both Tx Rate and Rx Rate, but hAP can only get half upload speed of what cAP can get.

If anyone of you are using cAP, can you please help me to check your upload speed? I wanna make sure if all cAP are same or mine unit has problem, will send for warranty if true, many thanks.

putude
just joined

Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:33 am

Similar problem here. Using cAP Lite and RB450 as Capsman. Download speed decrease from the source 10 Mbps become 2 Mbps. But the upload side is normal. But sometimes the speed is back to normal from the source 10Mbps become 9.7Mbps. I try to set the wifi's frequencies (3 channel only), remove the VLAN, make it simpler, but it' didn't help at all.

heidarren
Topic Author

Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:14 am

I’ve found something interesting, i switched the cAP AC to quickset home dual AP mode, and applied the same wireless setting, now the upload speed become 200mbps, comparing to CAP mode 400mbps upload, maybe something wrong with the quickset preset or the driver. Will try to switch the hAP AC2 to quickset CAP mode and see if the upload speed back to normal, if so, means that something MikroTik gonna fix

heidarren
Topic Author

Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:38 pm

I've confirmed the problem, when I use Quick Set "Home AP Dual", my Wi-Fi upload speed will be 200mbps, if I use Quick Set "CAP", the upload speed will become 400mbps.

All my wireless setting is same, very strange issue.

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:26 pm

I've confirmed the problem, when I use Quick Set "Home AP Dual", my Wi-Fi upload speed will be 200mbps, if I use Quick Set "CAP", the upload speed will become 400mbps.

All my wireless setting is same, very strange issue.
Look for Local Forwarding

heidarren
Topic Author

Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:07 am

Look for Local Forwarding
Yes I did, those results are local forwarding result, CAPsMAN forwarding result even worse.

anuser

Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:44 am

What is the difference between "Cap" and "Home ap dual" quickset If you /export compact the configuration?

heidarren
Topic Author

Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:41 pm

What is the difference between "Cap" and "Home ap dual" quickset If you /export compact the configuration?
I will export it once I have free time, my family members start to complaint for the down time recently, and kids starts screaming once the Wi-Fi drops, so I can’t keep doing it now, lol

heidarren
Topic Author

Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:46 pm

The current solution for me to have high throughput and smooth roaming is:
1. No CAPsMAN
2. Set both APs to AP Bridge mode and Dynamic Mesh with same channel
3. RSTP will handle the rest to avoid loop by using LAN connection as root port(Cost 10) and wireless connection as alternative port(Cost 100)
4. PMKID is the key for fast transfer between APs, by lowering the authentication time, so I will leave it on although I know there are security leak but who cares for home usage?

Now my iPhone can get full 470mbps of download speed and roaming experience is great.

bitomaxsp
just joined

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:06 pm

I have same issues. CAPsMAN is slow as 140Mbps. I'll try it as AP bridge and report here

okw
just joined

Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:47 pm

The current solution for me to have high throughput and smooth roaming is:
1. No CAPsMAN
2. Set both APs to AP Bridge mode and Dynamic Mesh with same channel
3. RSTP will handle the rest to avoid loop by using LAN connection as root port(Cost 10) and wireless connection as alternative port(Cost 100)
4. PMKID is the key for fast transfer between APs, by lowering the authentication time, so I will leave it on although I know there are security leak but who cares for home usage?

Now my iPhone can get full 470mbps of download speed and roaming experience is great.

Hi! Could you post a "export" of your settings? I too struggle with low throughput with CAPsMan.