aitsecurity
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

what is better vertical or horizontal polarization antenna

Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:21 am

HI

what is better for make a little link 3 kms, i have two antenna

hyperlink 19 dBi grid, and the other hyperlink 24 dbi grid.

i make the link in horizontal polarization, but the throughput have peak of 500 kbps.

the AP ear the client with -0 dBm, and the client ear the AP with -21 dBm.

the link is perfect, no ping loss. but the speed is very low.

what is better horizontal or vertical polarization in you experiencie.

Best Regards

bushy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:29 am

Hi, i think your signal is too high at each end , swamping the input of the radios , turn the tx-power way down and check the signal and throughput again.

BrianHiggins
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:52 am

we try to use horizontal whenever we can (even our sectors)

it's less common for people to use to it tends to have less interference.

in addition we've made numerous backhaul links that have dual radio links, one horizontal and one vertical(some with dual pole radiowaves dishes, some with multiple pannels on each side). without fail the horizontal has always had a stonger signal (usually between 2 and 3 db better) even when using a dual pole dish, so alignment is ruled out.

bjohns
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:04 am

We normally use horizontal for most things - unless we're looking for maximum seperation etc.

For a Point-to-Point link we would consider radial too - get the best of both worlds.

aitsecurity
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:16 am

Hi, i think your signal is too high at each end , swamping the input of the radios , turn the tx-power way down and check the signal and throughput again.
mmmm i think the same, but look this.

in the AP ear the CPE with -0 dBm, and in the CPE ear the AP with -25 dBm,

look this, in the CPE he no associate with the AP, is less power, example if -40 dBm, the link will loss, and can not associate, ???

in the AP work in 26 dBm, in the CPe with 17.5 dBm, i can put more low the CPE , but the AP is tranzeo, and no have control of power.

this link of 3 kms, have a little problem, because have a obstacle

AP --- 200 mts obstacle------2.8 kms the CPE

in the CPE when make the site survey always see the SSID, but no make associate , need go to -25 dBm or more power.

in the AP, is hard to make the association, in the first time, make the link in the roof make the link two times, and with -0 dBm, but the ping of 10 only reply 3.

now put a tower go up to 12 mts, the AP see the same -0 dBm, but no loss ping, 100% always reply the ping perfect.

work in channel 1 in 2.4 Ghz, and the AP tranzeo, no give the speed status, change to channel 11, and see in the link status 1 mbps .

mmm only in the area have other AP, and this is in channel 6.

????, i am thinking need another 24 dBi sector grid, this link make easy with 19 dBi and in the CPE 13 dBi antenna, no need more gain, and the power in ap 26 dBm, is too much, and the cpe 17.5 dBm.

but, have a this obstacle , maybe work better in vertical polarization, or put other antenna change in the AP 19 dBi, and put 24 dBi

IMPORTANT when test the speed, in the CPE the download is better is 500 kbps, when upload to AP from CPE, the speed is 200 kbps or less.

this happend, only if one alignament of antenna is bad, but the obstacle is there, i am thinking change the antenna of 19 dBi to 24 dBi, and see what appends

best regads

aitsecurity
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:19 am

in addition we've made numerous backhaul links that have dual radio links, one horizontal and one vertical(some with dual pole radiowaves dishes, some with multiple pannels on each side). without fail the horizontal has always had a stonger signal (usually between 2 and 3 db better) even when using a dual pole dish, so alignment is ruled out.
mmm i want these 2 and 3 db better, i will change my antennas to horizontal and see what append , i will tell us IF THE LINK GO TO MORE UP, now the association tell me is in 1 mbps, but i am sure make more.

Best Regards

aitsecurity
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:08 am

mmm i want these 2 and 3 db better, i will change my antennas to horizontal and see what append , i will tell us IF THE LINK GO TO MORE UP, now the association tell me is in 1 mbps, but i am sure make more.

Best Regards

ok, people i was changed the polarity to vertical, the RSSI in both end is the exactly with horizontal, but the speed is more up,

first time with horizontal

download 500 kbps, upload 200 kbps

now download 1mbps, upload 800 kbps.

now i change one antenna 19 dBi to 24 dBi, in both ends have 24 dBi antenna, and the speed is

download 3.5 mbps and upload the same.

great, perfect

thanks very much,