Community discussions

MikroTik App

Giano
just joined
Topic Author

CApsMAN problem

Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:59 am

Hello everyone!!

I'm new here. I was trying to build my network using CAPsMAN, composed by two router (1 cap and 1 manager) and a client, when a problem showed up. Cap binds to CAPsMAN instantly and the client connect to the generated WLAN with no problem, but i don't know why I can't ping any device on the network.
Ethernet, wlan and caps are all bridged together and both client and APs use static IP.
Can you please help me? Thanks!!

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: CApsMAN problem

Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:49 pm

Please export the CAPsMAN and CAP configuation.
Also you using CAPsMANv1 (wireless-fp) or CAPsMANv2 (wirelss-cm2)?

Giano
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:39 pm

cap.jpg
Here it is my configuration, but I don't know how to determine my capsman version. I suppose it should be the embedded version of the router firmware mipsbe v6.25.

Configuration:
/caps-man configuration
add channel.frequency=5180 channel.tx-power=10 channel.width=20 mode=ap name=\
ULV ssid=ULV2015TBED

Provisioning:
/caps-man provisioning
add action=create-dynamic-enabled master-configuration=ULV

Security:
/caps-man security
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk encryption=tkip group-encryption=tkip name=\
security_ULV passphrase=*********
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:20 pm

what IP configuration you have on the CAPsMAN for that cap interface as I see that you are using full-forwarding mode?
Also please consider using AES instead of TKIP.

Giano
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:06 am

I'm sorry, I've read this guide http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:CAPsMAN ten times already but I can't find anything on managing the IP addresses of the caps with the CAPsMAN. Can you please explain what you mean in your question?

I changed the security to aes as you said but nothing changed.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:17 pm

Where will be your DHCP server on the CAPsMAN or on the CAP?

Maybe you could look up this presentation about the CAPsMAN. That would help you understand better how to configure the CAPsMAN.
http://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/I ... 973595.pdf

Giano
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:02 pm

I don't get why I have to use a DHCP server if I set on each router a static IP address.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:07 pm

DHCP is for the wireless clients that connects to the CAPs.

karlisi

Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:08 pm

Here it is my configuration, but I don't know how to determine my capsman version. I suppose it should be the embedded version of the router firmware mipsbe v6.25.
Look in /system/packages
wireless-cm2 -> CAPsMAN v.2
wireless-fp -> CAPsMAN v.1 (not recommended)
Be sure router and all AP have the same CAPsMAN version.

Giano
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:05 pm

@karlisi: thank you!! I had CAPsMAN v1 but now I updated it to v2
@uldis: for the moment my network is composed by 4 ap, which I want to control by CAPsMAN, with two radio modules each and only by one client, which has a static ip too. (Both the APs and the client are mikrotik devices.) So I think I don't need dhcp; am I wrong?

Giano
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:48 am

Uldis, I followed your guide step by step, but still my client connects to the generated wifi network without being able to ping any device on the network. Please help me!!!

My aim is to build a network with four APs and one client that moves between them, streaming a video to a server with the smallest interruption as possible due to roaming.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sputniki
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:55 pm

@uldis: for the moment my network is composed by 4 ap, which I want to control by CAPsMAN, with two radio modules each and only by one client, which has a static ip too. (Both the APs and the client are mikrotik devices.) So I think I don't need dhcp; am I wrong?
Does your bridges on CAPs have IP-Adresses too? Can you ping them? Do you use local forwarding?

Giano
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:21 pm

Does your bridges on CAPs have IP-Adresses too? Can you ping them? Do you use local forwarding?
Yep! They all have static IPs and no I can't ping them. Up to now I used CAPsMAN forwarding

sputniki
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:30 pm

Yep! They all have static IPs and no I can't ping them. Up to now I used CAPsMAN forwarding
Nevertheless it should work. Do you have any IP address on that local bridge that you are using on caps manager?